cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Register ESX Hosts in VMM v3.1

Steven J. Marty_2
Frequent Advisor

Cannot Register ESX Hosts in VMM v3.1

I recently upgraded to SIM v5.2 and VMM v3.1. Since the upgrade, among other issues, none of my ESX hosts are registered with the VMM. When I try running the following command from the CMS...

vmcli -registerAgent ESX_SERVER_NAME

I get the following...

Registering Agent on ESX_SERVER_NAME
Agent registration failed! - ESX_SERVER_NAME
The VMM agent cannot be connected or is locked to another service. Install the VMM agent or unregister it from the other CMS.

Running a vmmcli -listAgents reports back that no agents are registeed. The five ESX servers are still licensed in the License Manager.

I uninstalled the entire VMM, deleted the database, and reinstalled and still no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

-Steve
6 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot Register ESX Hosts in VMM v3.1

Have you added the new certificates onto the VMHosts?
The details are in the 3.1 Quick Setup Poster PDF here;
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1113762

Steven J. Marty_2
Frequent Advisor

Yes, we did that and get the same failure message.

Any other ideas of what to try?

Any logs we can look at?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You're getting the same failure message when you import the certificates?

You can try and do things manually.

Copy the hpvmmagent.tar file across to the ESX Server and manually installing it. Then do the certificate import - which needs to be run under /root to work.

Then from HPSIM retry the registration.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

steve,

what are the management protocols listed for th e esx host

regards,

/srh
Steven J. Marty_2
Frequent Advisor

ROB: We followed the step-by-step, manual installation procedure today. We were able to import the certificate to the ESX server successfully. We also installed the VMM agent manually. That was also successful. When I try to register the ESX host from the CMS using the command 'vmcli -registerAgent ESX_SERVER_NAME', I get the same error as above.

SANDEEP: The following protocols are listed under the ESX host...

HTTP:, WBEM:1.0, SMH:2.0, SNMP:1.0, SSH:SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

That seems like some kind of firewall issue.
I'd recheck that VMM is allowed in the ESX firewall - it should be listed as an outgoing connection. It should be using port 902. You can also check the listing from "service firewall status" to see the port is being listened on.

The VMM install should update the firewall though. One thing I have found is that there should only be the service.xml file in the /etc/vmware/firewall directory. Having other old xml files in there can produce odd results.

Of course any other firewalls between HPSIM and the ESX server will need to allow port 902 through.