1752793 Members
5832 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cannot connect to database during Insight Control Management Install

DCC_SAN
Occasional Advisor

Cannot connect to database during Insight Control Management Install

I have successfully installed HP SIM5.2 SP2 on a scratch server, with the database created on a remote instance of SQL2005. However when trying to install Insight Control Management ver2.35 on the SIM server the installer fails with 'Unable to connect to specified database'. The install is being attempted using the same account that is running the SIM service, has local admin rights and has DBO/Create rights on the SQL server. The ICM installation advisor can connect to the database OK, yet the install still fails to connect to DB. Has anyone else come across this problem - it's driving me mad!!
5 REPLIES 5
Justin van Orsouw
Occasional Advisor

Re: Cannot connect to database during Insight Control Management Install

I was just going to start a thread about it.

I am having the same problem, installing HPSIM is not a problem, but installing ICM fresh or over an existing hpsim installation doesn't work.

We just bought a few ICE licenses, and we want to use them!

The installer gets stuck when connecting to a remote SQL2005 database. I looks like it just doesn't want to connect to it, or cannot find the database. The installer gives a standard connect message, as if it cannot find the database. (attached as image)

Connecting to a remote SQL2000 database works, and to the sql2005 express versions. But we want to use our current sql2005 database for Insight Control, for better performance and such.

As mentioned in the first post, all the db/sql rights are set correct and the account used has permissions. The ODBC application in windows can connect to the database.

We believe the problem is in the installer connecting tot the remote 2005 database. Could it be a wrong protocol setting in the installer?!?

We tried to install ICM from the ICE235 dvd on 3 different servers, but the installers cannot connect to our sql2005 database.

Please help us to correct this issue!

Justin van Orsouw
Vanderlande Industries B.V.
Jennifer_74
Frequent Advisor

The install logs from c:\hpic could tell us their specific cause, but the most probable causes of these problems are:

1. SQL Browser service is not running in the SQL server. This is necessary for the ICM installer to connect to the SQL server and check for the database. HP-SIM installer does not depend on it, but ICM installer does.

2. There are many instances available in SQL2005 database. ICM installer could not connect to the SQL server with many database instances. We recommend removing some database instances, keeping less than 7 in the system, before executing ICM integrated installer. Further details are in Engineering Advisory http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01540476тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=3312156&prodTypeId=18964.

3. There is a firewall filtering UDP port (1434).
karim h
Valued Contributor

I had the same strange problem a while ago.

I had to login to the SIM server console with the original account I used to install HPSIM with (in this case the domain service account) If I used any other account it got stuck at the SQL check.

**Make sure that if you're using RDP/Terminal Services client that you connect to the server console

On the new version of MSTSC use /ADMIN switch (/CONSOLE doesnt work anymore and will connect you to a non-console session)

rgds
DCC_SAN
Occasional Advisor

Jennifer - Your a star..!!!

The SQL Browser service seems to be the key. As soon as the SQL Browser service is started the ICM installer passes the 'Database Configuration' window and continues successfully.

Thanks.
DCC_SAN
Occasional Advisor

The Insight Control Management Installer needs the the remote SQL2005 server to have the SQLBrowser service running for the duration of the installation.

Thankyou to Jennifer for supplying the resolution.