108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cannot discover a server

SOLVED
Go to solution
gmitchell

Cannot discover a server

Hi,

I was hoping someone can help. I am a novice really when it comes to hp sim but I usually have had no problems with it. My issue is that I cannot not manually add a server. When I use Option - discover - manual it says "hp sim is attempting to add the system". Noting else happens after this.

Does anyone know if there are any logs which would details what is happening, or know of any troubleshooting processes for discovery.

I am using Systems Insight Manager 5.1 with SP1 - Windows.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Cannot discover a server

That is an old version of SIM.
There are log files in the HP Install directory, they can be quite big, but are time stamped so you can run a task and dive through them.

I'd also check you don't have filters enabled - if the device cannot be indentified (unknown or unmanaged) then you still want to see it.
sam_193
Frequent Advisor

you can also try "go to command line-> mxnode -a "
gmitchell

Thanks for the help guys. I tried the command mxnode and it worked first time. The server is now showing in sim but is showing as unmanaged and unpingable (although i can ping it from the sim server). It makes me think there is something wrong with the agents on the server. I will try the repair agents option to see if that makes any difference.
gmitchell

I discovered what the overall problem was. We have our discovery and pings set to use tcp on port 80. I changed over to icmp and the server was picked up straight away and as a managed server as well. So i am guessing the site where this server is located is block this port. Thanks for all the help guys.
sam_193
Frequent Advisor

remember to assign points to us, if we were helpful :)