1748201 Members
2972 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot get system hardware data from WBEM / WMI providers

Ben Field
Occasional Advisor

Cannot get system hardware data from WBEM / WMI providers

I have a new deployment of HP SIM 6.0 and I'm trying to run discovery on our 50 or so ProLiant Systems. However, some of our Windows systems continually get major errors during discovery:

The system cannot be identified properly for HP SIM to manage; unable to get one or more of the following: model, serial number or unique identifier (UUID). For management processors, verify the system is running the latest firmware. For Linux based operating systems, you must have dmidecode installed, enable the PermitRootLogin and PasswordAuthentication in sshd, and use root sign-in credential. For HP-UX, verify the sign-in credential. For Windows, check if WMIMapper is configured correctly on the CMS and verify the sign-in credential.

Specifically, the point in the discovery results that differs from the systems getting discovered correctly is this:

* Running WBEM rules based identification...
Minor: Identification cannot get computer system hardware data from the WBEM / WMI providers.

All of our Windows systems are using WBEM as data source, and have the latest ProLiant support pack, firmware, and drivers installed. The sign-in credentials are valid and have administrative privileges on the systems. The Windows firewall is disabled and all HP services and agents are running and haven't generated any errors.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this further?
8 REPLIES 8
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

To check that you can successfully communicate from the CMS to the target via WMI, use the WMI command shell in Windows. Get to a command prompt and type:

wmic /node:"HOST" bios get serialnumber

This assumes you have a valid security context with the remote node. If you don't, you can validate to the node by doing a "net use" or something.
Ben Field
Occasional Advisor

I'm able to successfully query the serial number with wmic, but I still get the error when running discovery. Any other suggestions?
Ben Field
Occasional Advisor

Needed to turn off user account control.
michaelcdn

Ben.

I have a similar problem where did you " Needed to turn off user account control."

Michael
Ben Field
Occasional Advisor

Ben Field
Occasional Advisor

Had to turn it off for the Administrative account I was using to access each of the systems to be discovered.
ITSCAC
Occasional Advisor

I have solved this problem by remove unnecessary SMI-S CIMOM Pegasus or MSA SMI-S.
Angel Garcia Merino
Occasional Advisor

I have the same, problem, but I don't know how to remove the unnecessary SMI-S, please could you tell me how to do it?