5713 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Change default HP SIM startup menu

rijsbergen
Frequent Advisor

Change default HP SIM startup menu

Hello,

when you login into SIM the menu 'Systems by Type' item is opened.
I did a quick check in the .props files but didn't see anything that gave me a clue.

How can i change the default opened menu to one of my own added (Sytems or Events) menu items?

Regards, Marcel
Regards,
Marcel Rijsbergen
9 REPLIES 9
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Change default HP SIM startup menu

Hi

If I understand correctly what you are trying to do you can use "Options->Home page settings" - this allows you to modify the home page(per user basis) so think that's what you are looking for
rijsbergen
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, no. Now i read you're answer i understand i was not clear enough.

In the left hand side you have the 'System and Event Collections'. It's that menu i mean.
In there i created customer specific menu's and i want to show one of those menu's with its (sub)collections.

regards, Marcel
Regards,
Marcel Rijsbergen
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Still not clear what you mean. But If you created a collection let say xy_company_important_server an you want to see them after you login to the system you can do this by using the customize link in the main plane and or as already mentioned options->Home Page Settings select This collection and choose your collection from the pull-down menu.

If you want add your own menu entries yo need to write a XML file. e.g. Options->Delete old Events or Xy_company_menu->What_ever_is_useful
If you want to do such things the best way is to add a custom Tool over the menus and sim forms. Afterward you can export the xml file with the mxtool command. If you want to limit the possibilities in the menus you need to play with the user rights/ roles
You can add attributes to the xml files which allows only a specific group/user to see the additional menu's.
Hope this helps.
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Reading your additional information again, I got the feeling that you want a menu only executable on a specific collection. You need to create a toolbox there you include your custom tools/menues afterwards you can give user_x the Toolbox the rights that it is only possible to execute on a specific collection.

Sorry for the fast reading of your additional information.
rijsbergen
Frequent Advisor

Thanx for your feedback.

But no, that's not what i want. I already do use the 'Home page settings' which shows my preferred collection and i already use xml's to add menu's and tools and such.

On the left side in the 'System and Event collections' the 'Systems by type' menu is opened by default and shows all the sub-menu items like 'all systems'/'all servers'.

What i want is that this one is closed and that one of my own entered menu items with sub-items is opened by default. So I have our own default 'Home Page' and our default menu selection opened at login time.

Regards, Marcel
Regards,
Marcel Rijsbergen
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Hi

Unfortunately, I don't think what you are asking for is currently possible. One can create new collections and only make them available in private or shared.

regards

Fred

тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Ralph Frampton
Frequent Advisor

I understand what Marcel is asking for as it's something I tried to setup on our HP SIM 5.1 system as well. It appears that the "System and Event Collections - Systems - Shared - Systems by Type" is always opened by default whenever you first login to the CMS.

The best workaround that I've been able to come up with is to move our custom collections (eg. "Our Company Systems") above the "Systems by Type" & "Systems by Status" collections (ie. so ours are listed in top spots). At least this way you don't have to scroll down below "Systems by Type" or click on the minus sign to close it in order to quickly get to your own custom collections.

rijsbergen
Frequent Advisor

Sorry for the late response, been on holiday.

@fred: Yeah i thought so.

@ralph: exactly what i want.

I hoped that there would be a .props entry to point to a company specific menu.

I tried some fiddling with the information of the link for the menu item when you hover above it, but nothing works.

Maybe an enhancement request?

Regards, Marcel

Regards,
Marcel Rijsbergen
jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

I agree with Fred and Ralph. In the past I have made numerous suggestions regarding the Collections pane and this is one of them.

Do you want it globally? or just for your own profile?

In some engagements I have hid all of the collections I didn't want so that the pane only showed what I wanted it to show when the users logged in. Just makes sure to put your custom collections under System by Type as already suggested - this would be globally reflected for all users. No way currently that I know of to change the defaults.