1753781 Members
7392 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change "Execute as" user to root

choppertastic
Occasional Contributor

Change "Execute as" user to root

I am trying to install the VMM agent onto our ESX Servers but I am having difficulty as it trys to authenticate as a Windows administrator account.

Where can I change the "Execute as" user so that I can use the root user on the esx server.

Thanks,
James
5 REPLIES 5
Patti Connors_2

I am currently having the same problem. Did you ever figure out how to change this?

Thanks,
Patti
choppertastic1

I have not found a fix to this problem yet. Have you managed to find a work around?
Patti Connors_2

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I have not figured out how to change the "Execute as" user yet. I have seen others references to it but they never say how.

I tried manually installing it on one of my ESX3.0 servers. It worked but I wanted an easier way for when we roll out more ESX servers. I was forced to temporarily enable "root" access for OpenSSH and was then able to deploy the VMM successfully.

I am not an expert, but I have read that by default this is not enabled in ESX 3.0. I have heard that it should not be enabled but it was the only way other than a manual install. I had no trouble with it in my ESX 2.5 server probably because root already had this access.

I hope this helps some.

Patti
choppertastic
Occasional Contributor

Hmmm.... I have enabled root ssh access on my VI3.0.1 servers and I am still unable to deploy from SIM.
Patti Connors_2

As I recall I also had trouble configuring OpenSSH until I enabled root access. I think I followed the steps in Deploying the WMM Agent in the HP ProLiant Essentials Virtualization Management Software User Guide.

(http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00815032/c00815032.pdf)

I also had to upgrade HP SIM 5 to SP5 before I began all of this.