7703 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Checking simple SNMP Values

bgf
Advisor

Checking simple SNMP Values

Hi,

Is it possible to check simple SNMP values (disk/cpu/memory utilization) or WMI performance counters from non Proliant Systems with HP SIM.

If yes, could you describe me this could work? I am kind of new to this topic, so a rather detailed description would be nice.

Regards
bgf
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Checking simple SNMP Values

You might want to go to www.hp.com/go/hpsim and take the link to the reference library and download the technical guide.

fred Passeron
HPE Pro

hi

Is it possible to check simple SNMP values (disk/cpu/memory utilization) or WMI performance counters from non Proliant Systems with HP SIM

=> read the following doc on managing no hp devices in HP SIM. This doc will explain to you how through snmp and wmi, HP SIM is able manage them. HP SIM is able to discover identify non HP servers like IBM or dell by default. Some of these vendors MIBs are precompiled in HP SIM but not active. They will provide support for basic HW alerting.

http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim_managing_nonHPservers.pdf

HP SIM is working in two directions :
1/as most of the management solutions, it is a client/server architecture. This means that you have an agent running of the node you want to manage and that this agent is able to send a trap to the central console (the HP SIM server)when properly configured (snmp traps setup to send the trap to the HP SIM server).

2/The CMS itself polls devices it has discovered to check their status on a regular basis.

WMI counters can be retrieved through Wbem queries on displayed in HP SIM through the system page of a device under the properties link (see attached jpg)

see technical reference guide for more details:
http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim-trg-52.pdf

hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
bgf
Advisor

Hi,

I installed the WBEM provider tool on my Windows 2003 Server, but i still cant access WMI Information from the HP SIM Server.
I checked the credentials they seem to be ok but there is always the message:

"The system(s) can not be identified by either WBEM or SNMP"

Is there anything else to configure on the server where the WBEM provider is installed?

Regards
bgf
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

the HP wbem providers are for HP servers, I don't think they are supported on other vendors platforms...

Which servers are you trying to manage ?

regards

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Fick
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I'm trying to manage Dell Servers with HP SIM 6.1b, I installed the OMSA 6.3 agent on the Dells, configured SNMP on the Dells (ESX 4.0 Hosts and Physical Windows 2008 R2), but when I try to discover the node in SIM, I get "Critical: The system(s) can not be identified by either WBEM or SNMP"

Any ideas?