New Discussion юеВ

Cleaning up the server list with loopbacks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Cleaning up the server list with loopbacks

Hi Everyone,

Is it normal for a ILO to NOT be fooled by a loopback connector? Our ILOs have been changing to Minor Heath status with loopback connectors, changing the status from no connection to showing error packets.

Is this the norm?

I wanted to check before disabling the ILO agent on the servers with no connection to get a better grasp on our server status viewing the list.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Cleaning up the server list with loopbacks

Yeah the ILO seems o be a bit more clever than a standard NIC.
I've had to resort to removing sub-agent to make the error go away.
It's a bit of a pain as it seems to need re-removing after each update of the foundation agents. It didn't use to behave this way.
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Thanks Rob,

On your gigabit network cards have you had the standard loopbacks give you the same issue as a loopback on a ILO?

We installed loopbacks on all our network ports and I've noticed for example the HP NC7170 Dual Port Gigabit NIC, HP NC7782 Gigabit and HP Embedded NC7781 Gigabit NICs still have health warnings.

I did do some research and it seems some gigabit cards may not support or may need a different loopback. I've seen gigabit loopbacks for sale online. Maybe crossing additional wires may be needed. Hopefully it's that simple.

Thanks,

Dana
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

I should have said all unused network ports. :)
Rancher
Honored Contributor

We finally just disabled all unused NIC ports and Nics. That is the only way I have been able to get my nice green health status:)
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Hi Rancher,

I'm guessing you had to disable the gigabit nics from the bios on each server?

Having the NIC disabled in the OS still displays a health issue on our gigabit nics here.

Thanks!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

In the past I've disabled NICs with the loopback connector.
I'll need to retry when I'm back at the office.
It may have been the 100MB ports that it worked for...
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Thanks Rob,

So far here it's only been the gigabit nics here. I did find a this web page from Sun with a collection of loopbacks for several devices. They list the well known loopback for the 10/100 NIC and a "TPE Loopback Cable for Gigabit and 10/100 Ethernet"

Here's the webpage if anyone is interested:

http://docs.sun.com/source/817-7665/AppendixA.html

Thanks,

Dana
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

I read up a little more on gigabit loopbacks. One pdf I found mentioned when using a gigabit loopback there is a lot off crosstalk that occurs. I haven't made one up yet (forgot to bring in my crimper from home). If there is a lot off crosstalk I can see lots of packet errors occurring creating a error condition on the nic.

See ya,

Dana