4546 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cluster identification problem

Etienne Beureux
Advisor

Cluster identification problem

Hello,

I've a problem with HP SIM, more specifically with cluster detection (a 2 nodes MSCS cluster, perfectly recognized under CIM 5.2). In automatic discovery, my cluster is not detected (although both nodes are detected just fine as servers).

When I do a manual discovery specifying the cluster name, it is added normally to the cluster list. So far so good.

But when I try to add the node currently owning the cluster IP resource, this node is identified as a cluster, and the name of the cluster disappears from the console !

Here is the configuration :
The cluster is named clust_multisrv2
The node 1 is named dfsrvcn3
The node 2 is named dfsrvcn4

The IP of the cluster is x.y.z.242
The IP of the 1st node is x.y.z.243
The IP of the 2nd node is x.y.z.244

(there are other IPs for cluster resources, which are listed as IPs on the node possessing the resource at a given moment).

It seems I can't get my cluster and both nodes listed as they should. Anyone has seen a similar problem yet ? My *guess* would be that a system with several IPs is identified by its lowest IP (242 in the case of node 2 of my cluster, which happens to be the IP of the cluster). So when I register the cluster, no problem, but when I add the 2nd node, it claims back the IP used by SIM to identify the cluster.
6 REPLIES 6
MIBA NSD
Advisor

Re: Cluster identification problem

I have the same problem!
I am here to find a solution.
Hope anybody can help us!
Etienne Beureux
Advisor

I have found a workaround, but it's really bad and not acceptable for a production environment. You have to delete everything related to the cluster from HP SIM, then register the cluster IP and name in the HOSTS file of your SIM computer.

Then you can rediscover the cluster and the nodes, it *should* work.
Eckart-Weissbaecker

I got the same problem too, only on W2K clusters, not with NT4 cluster.... Any solution?
Matthew Maynard
Advisor

I am also having the same issue. the nodes themself are listed but the Virtual Servers do not show up at all and the nodes just show up in the Servers column. Any idea's on this? It appears to be happing on both win2k and win2k3 clusters
FRANK PRUSS
Advisor

I'd say:

1) Make sure each cluster node is runnng recent (7.x) Management Agents (resolving issues around ghosted images, etc.)

2) Make sure each cluster node has the Cluster Information agent active (Control Panel, HP Managment Agents)

3) Delete all items in SIM that originated from this cluster and rediscover.

In a properly discovered cluster, the Virtual Servers will not show in any device list, but will be visible in Cluster Monitor.

In a properly discovered cluster, each node will be discovered by it's own IP, not the IP of the cluster or that of any virtual server. The cluster IP will be discovered as a cluster and SIM will not look for MPs, SW status, etc.

If a node has been discovered as "the cluster" (perhaps only one node has cluster information active?), SIM will not forget it, so that is why you need to delete and rediscover.

Proliantstud
Frequent Advisor

Check out this article:

Advisory: HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) 5.2 Cluster Monitor May Fail to Display Cluster Data Information
NOTICE: The information in this document, including products and software versions, is current as of the Release Date. This document is subject to change without notice.
Release Date: 2008-09-08
Last Updated: 2008-09-08
├в ┬в System and Event Collections > Clusters by Type > All Clusters and then select the Cluster Name.
├в ┬в Tools > System Information > Cluster Monitor.

However, Cluster Monitor data can be viewed successfully using the following method:
5. Locate the cluster name or IP address: In the HP SIM console, select System and Event Collections > Clusters by Type > All Clusters .
6. Search for the cluster name or IP address found in step 1: In the HP SIM console Search frame, enter the name of the desired cluster or IP address then select search .
7. Access the Cluster System page: From the search results in step 2, click on the HS column icon to access the Clusters System page.
8. Access the cluster monitor link: From the System page found in step 3, select the Tools and Link tab and then the link to Cluster Monitor.
SCOPE
Any system running HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) 5.2 Cluster Monitor.
RESOLUTION
A future release of HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) will allow Cluster Monitor to display cluster data information if a cluster name contains uppercase characters or a mix of upper and lowercase characters.
Until the updated HP SIM version is available, delete the cluster nodes and then the cluster from the HP SIM console and then manually rediscover the cluster nodes and cluster using an all lowercase name. Once rediscovered, all methods of accessing the Cluster Monitor will function properly.

Cheers...