Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751824 Members
5231 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Collecting Dell PowerEgde SNMP Data in SIM 4.2

J. Anderson

Collecting Dell PowerEgde SNMP Data in SIM 4.2

I am having trouble configuring HP SIM to collect the SNMP data from Dell PowerEdge Servers, while setting up System Type. I have installed the correct MIB for Dell servers, and it appears that it is generating the correct OID, but when attempting to retrieve Object Value from a specific system (in which I know should populate the requested value), I get the following error:

The request timed out, or the community string is incorrect, or there is no agent for this object identifier.

When using a 3rd party SNMP utility, I am able to collect all SNMP data from this server, using the same Unity String and IP Address. So, I know that the correct data is available on this server. I am wondering if I am missing something in configuring SNMP data collection.
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Collecting Dell PowerEgde SNMP Data in SIM 4.2

Remember community names are case sensitive.
Also, snmp can be configured to allow only selected hosts access.

The message your getting is indicating that it does not have access.
Did you use the SNMP Utility from the Server HPSIM is installed on?
J. Anderson

After posting this question I ran Network Monitor on this server to look for the exact data that is being sent/received using FreeSNMP and comparing it with the same data preforming the request from SIM.
Here are the results:

FreeSNMP
SNMP: SNMPv1; community = public; Response; Request ID = 7224; Length = 76 (0x4C)
SNMP: Message type = SNMPv1
SNMP: Version = 0 (0x0)
SNMP: Community = public
SNMP: PDU type = Response
SNMP: Request ID = 7224 (0x1C38)
SNMP: Error status = noError (0)
SNMP: Error index = 0 (0x0)
SNMP: Sequence
SNMP: OID = 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1.300.10.1.9.1
SNMP: String Value = PowerEdge 6650

HP SIM 4.2
SNMP: SNMPv1; community = public; Get request; Request ID = 328150; Length = 51 (0x33)
SNMP: Message type = SNMPv1
SNMP: Version = 0 (0x0)
SNMP: Community = public
SNMP: PDU type = Get request
SNMP: Request ID = 328150 (0x501D6)
SNMP: Error status = noError (0)
SNMP: Error index = 0 (0x0)
SNMP: Sequence
SNMP: OID = 1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1.300.10.1.9.1.0
SNMP: NULL Value

2 things I noticed was FreeSNMP used PDU Type Response, while SIM used Get Request. This may not be anything, just a difference I noticed. The other, however, is significant. Looking at the OID, SIM adds a .0 at the end. This does not appear when requesting the SNMP data, only shows up in the NetMon capture. I am sure this is why I am not getting a response.

Now my questions are:
Is the PDU Type relevant to this issue?
If so, where can I change it?
Why does SIM add .0 at the end of the OID, and how do we correct it?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

HP SIM uses MIBs only for event translation for non-HP gear. It does not "walk the MIB" for any devices. To collect data from a device like that, HP SIM expects to be able to use WBEM/WMI.