5454 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Communication with lost with VMM service message on VMM 2.0.1

Martin Quigley
Occasional Advisor

Nancy,

Your log shows errors with java and the iscsi version that my logs don't show. I'm not sure if that's what is causing it. Attached is my log from a "working" environment. Maybe you disect the two and find the answer.

Good luck.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Ahh that reminds me!
I had issues with VMM after I'd gone through the upload drivers options.
I removed the iscsi initiator and then removed and reinstalled VMM 2.0.1.
It worked after that. I thought it was just something I'd done wrong so hadn't done much about following it up.

I've not tried putting back the iscsi initiator, we're due to get some HP Training on using VMM to migrate Servers and so if the issue arose again I'd have an HP person on site to demonstrate it.
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

How do you go about removing the iscsi initiator?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I think I just went to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

Did you do this on the SIM server? I looked in Add/Remove programs and didn't see anything related to iscsi.
Rich Colbert
Occasional Advisor

We're having the same issues with the VMM service crashing and then unable to restart without rebooting the SIM server. I had speculated that VMM runs in a java wrapper, and that if the service crashed that the wrapper might be what was holding the port open. Don't know. This has happened three times in the past month and a half, and the priority has been to get the service restarted, hence the reboot.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Nancy,

Yes, I'd installed the ISCSI Initiator on the HPSIM Server.
If you haven't then this may not be the issue for you. It was one of the other posters comments that triggered my memory.
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

I haven't ever installed the iscsi initiator. Could there be an issue with differnt versions of the Java runtime environment?
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

I did notice that when I tried to deploy the VMM Agent to my ESX host I got the message:

Agent registration failed -
Agent cannot be connected.

I also noticed that this step was run as administrator instead of root. Could this be causing my problem? If so how do I fix it?

Thanks.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Have you used the mxagentconfig command to register the VMHost Server in SSH?

SSH is used to deliver the Agent, that looks like where that is failing.

If you don't have it already, the VMM Guide provides a step by step guide and ca=n be found at:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1113762#1