1751944 Members
5008 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Communication with lost with VMM service message on VMM 2.0.1

Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

Communication with lost with VMM service message on VMM 2.0.1

I am running ESX 2.5.2, HP SIM is running on a Windows 2003 Server machine. I installed the VMM Agent on my ESX box. Similar to everyone else I see check boxes under the VM column and my VMs are listed as hosted on my ESX box. When I try to view my VM performance it says:

Communication has been lost with the VMM service.

I tried to view the Virutal machines list on my ESX box via the Identity tab, Virtual machines in SIM and I get the message:

Could not contact the VMM service.

I modified the host file on my SIM box to make sure it included an entry to the ESX box. Still no luck. One thing I haven't tried yet is to reboot the ESX box. I never did this after I installed the VMM agent. Is a reboot of the ESX box necessary?

Thanks.
24 REPLIES 24
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Communication with lost with VMM service message on VMM 2.0.1

No, you should not need to restart the ESX Host after installing the VMM Agent.

On the host you could try:
usr/share/vmm/bin/hpvmmcntsvc status

to get the status of the VMM Client, you can also pass the parameters stop, start and restart to it.
Martin Quigley
Occasional Advisor

I am having the same problem. I noticed that the HP VMM service on my SIM server was not running. I started it and then a few minutes later it stopped. There is nothing in the event log to say why.
Martin Quigley
Occasional Advisor

I figured out the problem I was having. I looked in the log c:\Program Files\HP\HP Virtualization Management Software\log\hpvmmsvc.log and found that the reserved TCP port for HP VMM, port 1124, was in use. My SIM server had an established connection to port 445 on a Windows DC. I tried killing services and processes to find out what it was, but to no avail. I rebooted my SIM server and all is well.

Thanks
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

I am having this problem as well I have rebooted and restarted the services to no avail. It was working fine then I get communications lost. The Service is running, but definitely not communicating with the hosts or vice versa. Anyone have any ideas. How do I determine if there is a conflict with the port? This is frustrating, everytime I turn around I am having some problems with SIM 5.0.
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

I have tried verifying the status on the ESX box and the status of the client shows as started. I looked at the hpvmmsvc.log file on my SIM server but I don't see anything that points to a port conflict.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

I have done the same steps as you Nancy and don't have any answers either. However, it does this on all of my hosts that have a VMM license applied to them. I have looked in the log and found nothing about a port conflict eihter. Do you know where the Troubleshooting guide is or have you used it? I can't find it anywhere.
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

I haven't found a troubleshooting guide. HP's knowledge base doesn't have anything. I'd like to get this fixed so I can evaluate whether the VMM will provide us with what we're looking for but I'm really wondering if we want to even bother with this to manage our VMs via SIM. Does anyone have another way they manage VMs that provides similar functionality to what SIM provides for physical machines?
Martin Quigley
Occasional Advisor

There is a troubleshooting guide at the end of:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00498328/c00498328.pdf

Can you upload your hpvmmsvc.log ? I wouldn't mind taking a peak at it.

Thanks

Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

Here's the hpvmmsvc.log file.