1753797 Members
7677 Online
108801 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq/HP Mibs

Jon_151
Regular Advisor

Compaq/HP Mibs

I have just loaded a new HPSIM server version 5.1 with SP1 - Windows. I have Netware 6.5 servers. When I unplug a power supply I do not get an alert in SIM, or on a windows server either. What else do I need to do to get theses alerts?
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

What do you have on the netware server to detect that a power supply has lost power?

There should be agents installed. These then use the snmp trap send process to send an snmp trap to the HPSIM server. So the snmp Trapsend destination needs to be set to point to the HPSIM Server.

If HPSIM gets the trap it should generate an alert.

MIB Updates are also available for HPSIM to correspond with updates to the PSPs.
Start at:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/
Jon_151
Regular Advisor

Rob,

Thanks for the info. I have a much bigger problem. The new SIM I built is on a DL380 G3, 3.6GHZ processor, 3GB RAM. I spent 5 hours on the phone yesterday with HP support trying to get this to work. SIM would not receive ANY test traps from ANY of my servers. It would not even talk to itself, ie: send a test trap from the sim server. However the traps showed up 8 hours latter. When SIM sent the page to the on call person the time stamp on the trap was when it was orginally sent. HP did not help, how someone in this forum has a solution. I used a snmputil program that is recommend by HP and it does work. here is a link http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/testing.htm
I can run it from SIM as well as from a node to SIM and I get correct results. AND SIM discvered all my servers using snmp.
ANY help is greatly appreciated.
H.Y. Yiu
Frequent Advisor

I would definitely start a network trace on both sides to see whether the SNMP trap arrives on the Sim server.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

On the HPSIM Server, I always set SNMP to Allow SNMP from any host. You'll also need the required community names.

If you have a Windows server remote from the HPSIM Server then you can use the Trap Send part of the HP Management Agents GUI (under Control Panel).
This should generate a generic event that is registered as a Major Alert in HPSIM.
On the sending server, snmp must have the trap destination set. You could try IP address rather than name to see if there's a DNS issue.
You could also check that ping / tracert (traceroute) also gets to the HPSIM Server from any servers that are sending the snmp traps.

As this generally works, issues are more likely to be related to some network issue.