8842 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuration HP Sim Server and Managed System

EHAdmin
Advisor

Configuration HP Sim Server and Managed System

Good morning,

I am trying to install and configure HP SIM 7.3 on a RedHat Linux 64bit machine.

I have finished installing the HP Insight Manager software Support, as shown in the following log:

[root@tfvs0504 ~]# ./SIM_7.3_Z7550-01234.bin
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing 7.3..................................
installing on redhat 6
Installing hpsmdb-rhel6-*x86_64.rpm ...
warning: hpsmdb-rhel6-8.2.1-1HPSIM.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 2689b887: NOKEY
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "hpsmdb".
This user must also own the server process.

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_US.UTF-8.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to UTF8.

fixing permissions on existing directory /var/opt/hpsmdb/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers/max_fsm_pages ... 32MB/204800
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /var/opt/hpsmdb/data/base/1 ... ok
initializing pg_authid ... ok
initializing dependencies ... ok
creating system views ... ok
loading system objects' descriptions ... ok
creating conversions ... ok
setting privileges on built-in objects ... ok
creating information schema ... ok
vacuuming database template1 ... ok
copying template1 to template0 ... ok
copying template1 to postgres ... ok

WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections
You can change this by editing pg_hba.conf or using the -A option the
next time you run initdb.

Success. You can now start the database server using:

/opt/hpsmdb/bin/postgres -D /var/opt/hpsmdb/data
or
/opt/hpsmdb/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/opt/hpsmdb/data -l logfile start

The directory '/var/opt/hpsmdb/data' exists but is not empty.
If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty
the directory '/var/opt/hpsmdb/data' or run initdb
with an argument other than '/var/opt/hpsmdb/data'.
hpsmdb 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off
ok
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
Delete JBoss cached contents if exist
Installing hpsim* ...
warning: hpsim-C.07.03.00.00-1.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 2689b887: NOKEY
ok
Deleting old jar files jtds-1.2.jar and tuprolog-2.1.1.jar
Installaing HP System Management Homepage. Please wait......
warning: hpsmh-7.3.0-9.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 2689b887: NOKEY
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
Detected Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES/WS/SERVER 6
Created hpsmh user and group...
1:hpsmh ########################################### [100%]

* System Management Homepage installed successfully with *
* default configuration values. To change the default *
* configuration values, type the following command at *
* the root prompt: *
* /opt/hp/hpsmh/sbin/smhconfig *

Installing HP Version Control Repository Manager. Please wait......
warning: cpqsrhmo-7.2.0-0.linux.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 2689b887: NOKEY
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:cpqsrhmo ########################################### [100%]
Warning: VCREPOSITORY has not been properly configured.

setup is incomplete!

Starting HP Linux Version Control Repository Manager: [ OK ]
=========================================================== =====================================

NOTE: Please run /opt/hp/vcrepository/etc/vcrepositoryconfig.sh -R <Repo Path> as 'root' user to
configure HP Linux VCRM

=================================================================================================

I think that the installation is ok.

It is the first time I install software with these characteristics. The steps I have done below is to open the browser to access my HP SIM, https:// <server_name> Server 2381. Activity, and the first thing I've done is a "Discover" for information machines of a given network.

I want to know what steps I have to follow to correctly configure my server HP SIM and how to configure the repository VCRM because I access the HomePage of my machine where HP SIM have installed but I can not do anything in a matter of creating a new package baseline to update monitored machines. I would also like to know what I have to set up systems that will monitor with this software.

Thank you so much

25 REPLIES 25
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

the port you should connect to is port 50000, that is the hp sim port 2381 is the system management homepage. You should be able to logon with the credentials you used to install the software.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
EHAdmin
Advisor

Good morning and thank you very much for answering Andrew_Haak ...

I have successfully installed my HP SIM and I have already agreed to set up a few things and to discover a number of machines of a given work network. I have already configured my VCRM on the same machine where I have installed the HP SIM and I have two types of BASELINE configured to update the machines that I have in my environment.

What I would be wanting to know is, my great and serious question ... What do I have to install or configure the machines that want monitorizay and managed from HP SIM?

I think I have ridden environment in half, because as I said, I have successfully configured with a few baselines VCRM I downloaded from the HP web site, but I think I need something more to make the most of this software .

thank you very much

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

If you want monitor servers you have to be able to read information and recieve events from the servers concerned. So in the case of a linux server you need to configure SNMP to allow the SIM to read the SNMP information. The server needs to read it's own information for the System Management Homepage to read the system state. The SNMP trap needs to be configured so that the server can send an event trap in case of an error like defect hardware or an other event.

So stacked ontop of each other we have snmpd, snmp agents and System Management Homepage. The snmp agents are agents that give information about the server like ilo serial disk memory etc.... This information is shown in the System Management Homepage and is used for discovery. If the snmp is correctly setup server should show up as proliant servers , operating system version ILO etc....

If you want you can also set sign-in credentials so you can run scripts and/or installs on the managed servers. You can also set a trust, with this trust you can pass through to the System Management Homepage information. When the VCRM is correctly configured you can push or pull updates of the SPP's you uploaded to the VCRM.

that's it in a nutshell, sounds simple but can be a bit difficult for the beginner, so if you need more help just let me know..

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
EHAdmin
Advisor

Very good morning,

Thank you so much for your answer.

I'm a little lost in configure agents on computers that want to monitor.

I enclose a series of screenshots where you can see that I've been making after having installed and configured HP SIM.

The steps I followed: 1 - Run a task to discover servers in a specified range of IP addresses. 2 - Descargarme of the last page of HP SPP to post it within the VCRM which is located on the same server as the HP SIM.

As you say, I'm not an expert using this tool, and I need to give me the steps in detail so that I do not miss anything. So I appreciate your time to explain a little more closely at each one of the things that I need.

In one of the screenshots, you can see the homepage of HP SIM server, which I understand to set things missing there too.

Awaiting answers, many thanks!

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

All looks good, the thing you want to configure is the VCA and/or Software/ Firmware baselines in SIM.

The first thing you can do is create a collection of servers that you want to set the baselines for. You can create a set of servers in SIM easily. First look at the left part of the SIM page, look under System and Event Collections, here you can click on Customize(01.jpg). Here you get the screen called Customize Collection, click on New, Choose members by attributes. Now the next screen can take some time but then you can create your selection : Where System type is Server, click add and make an other filter for example and operating System contains Red. Now you will get a collection of servers where the operating system contains Red. So in this case you would see alle of your Red Hat Servers. If you have an other type of Unix or Windows servers. If you click on the Save Ad Collection button you can save the group under Existing colletion under Private, where you will be the only one that can see and use the collection or save it under Shared for everyone to see and use. Now that you have this collection you can set a baseline for all servers in that collection. It could be that you have more that one Baseline, then you would have to create collections specific collection on say a Redhat version. You can also create collections like that.

But for this example we assume that you have only one baseline. If you saved the collection you click on the top menu Deploy> Software/Firmware Baselines> Manage Software/Firmware Baselines. Now you select the baseline you want to add the servers to, now click on add/Remove System. Now click on add Systems and choose your collection from the pulldown. Now depending in Your SIm version you can add the collection or if that does not work click on View Contents and click the most left checkbox in the top to select all servers, click aply and Save. The trick now is to wait untill you see systems appear behind your baseline in the Assigned Systems field. Now if you look at the Software status of your servers, most will have a baseline.

If you want you can also set this baseline in the VCA in the remote servers. Go to one of your servers and set the baseline by hand by selecting the VCA in the System Management Homepage, click on change settings, here you have to set the VCRM servers name (in your case the SIM server) and set credentials. These credentials need to be a computer account or Domain account that is local Admin on the SIm server. Now click on Next and if the credentials are correct it will show the baseline(s) you uploaded/created. Choose the baseline and click next(you can also select exact match depending on your needs). Now you have set the baseline for one server. Now select the servers in the collection you created earlier and choose Configure> Replicate Agent Settings from the top menu. So you have set the destination you need to set the source. Please type the server you have just fixed, and if the Trusted option is set to Yes.(if it's not you have some more work, look at the end of this message). Now click next and select the HP Version Control Agent part. These settings will now be replicated to the destination server if the destination servers also have a trust. Click Run Now.

If you don't have a trust you'll first have to set this by selecting your servers, then from the top menu select Configure or Repair Agents. Now click next and on the second screen only select the Set Trust Relationship. For this you'll need signin credentials, here you can use the already set credentials if you did not set Sign-in credentials you can use a account that has enough rights on the remote servers. So that's it for now. If you need any more help please let me know.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
EHAdmin
Advisor

Good afternoon and thank you very much again for your quick answers .

The steps you have given me about creating my own collections of servers to be treated in a way easier had already implemented as you can see in one of the screenshots. Also, as you can observe in another screenshot , I have the VCRM configured with two different baselines , one which is the latest version for Linux servers, and the other is the total baseline for both linux systems and Windows systems. I have assigned the corresponding baseline as Red Hat servers.

As you can see on the other screen shots, when I go to any server , I lack information to show that , as compared to other servers that have mounted shows more information such as Firmware And Software Revision. I guess I'll have to configure the snmp agents on systems that monitor I want to get more information , so too such as installing the homepage on each .

With all this, now the next step will it be?

Thank you so much

PD - . Whether I want to leave you my email contact to have a more direct and faster. If you want we can follow the post by mail , do you think good idea! ?

ehernandez@serviclients.com

regards

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Normaly i'll check the messages on this board every day, so the answer/question should not take more that 1 or 2 days.

My private email is only checked twice a week so this should work fine, and if anyone can add to the discussion that can always help the more the marrier......

The problem that you have is indeed in de identification it seems. When i look at the screenshots you attached i see that the Management protocol does not include SNMP and SMH. These are essential to SIM. When you run a system identification could you mail the log of a server that does not work, what should tell us a lot.

Kind reagards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
EHAdmin
Advisor

Very good morning Andrew ,

Perfect, then we continue on this forum discussing the configuration of my HP SIM .

As I say , I understand you have to install SNMP agents and SMH machines I want to monitor . I have the following packages installed on a machine to be monitored:

hp- snmp- agents- 9.40 - 2506.37.rhel6.x86_64
hp- smh -templates - 9.4.0 - 1327.37.noarch
hp -health- 9.40 - 1602.44.rhel6.x86_64
hpsmh - 7.2.2 - 8.x86_64

Installing these packages and configure the snmpd.conf file, if I access the server within HP SIM gives me the information that is shown in the first screenshot, both as informacion informacion SNMP Firmware / Software Revision .

Another thing is that I can not configure what you see in the second screenshot ny third . I get problems when authentication to enable an upgrade to HP SIM .

Let's go step by step and go solving small problems that I have . Below I attached the log from one of the machines I've tried to identify :

===================================================================================
Significant issues and overall ********* target discovery / identification

Normal: The system hardware has valid data ( model , serial number, and

unique identifier) and has-been properly Identified for SIM to

manage .
Normal : System ( s ) Have Been successfully identified.

Additional results ********* ( listed for information only) :

* Starting identification process ...

* Checking Known for running web servers ...

* Checking for SNMP protocol support on system ...
Normal: The system did not respond to SNMP. Verify security settings and

community strings in Options- > Security- > Credentials -> System

Credentials

* Checking for SNMPv3 protocol support on system ...
Normal: The system did not respond to SNMPv3. Verify security settings and

v3 credentials in Options- > Security- > Credentials -> System

Credentials

* Running HP ProLiant management agent identification ...
Normal: The system does not support SNMP.

* Running SNMP -based cluster identification using common cluster

MIB ...
Normal: SNMP is not supported or disabled globally , skipping SNMP cluster

identification .

* Checking for WBEM protocol support on system ...
Minor : This system does not have any SMI- S CIMOMs installed. No storage

systems will be found on this system .
Minor : The Central Management System ( CMS) can not not communicate with the

CIMOM locally installed on the managed system using the WBEM

protocol , will try to identify identity Identification systems using Windows

the WMI Mapper as proxy , for Linux and HP- UX systems, check

credentials by going to Options- > Security- > Credentials -> System

Credentials. For Linux systems also check the provider if the HP WBEM

is installed.

* Running WBEM rules based identification ...
Minor : Identification computer system hardware can not get data from the

WBEM / WMI providers.

* Running Virtual Machine (VM ) Host (non HP Integrity VM Host)

Identification ...
Normal: The system is not a VM Host (non HP Integrity VM Host) , or WBEM

May not be specified credentials so skipping VM Identification.

* Running Storage identification ...

* Did not detect the WBEM protocol support on this system . SMI

storage identification will be skipped .

* Storage identification completed .

* Running HP NetServer identification ...

* Running HP -UX SNMP identification ...

* Running OA Identifier Which Will discover systems in an enclosure

enclosure if the automatic discovery option is enabled for OA ...
Normal: The system is not an Onboard Administrator , skipping automatic

discovery of systems in the enclosure .

* Running XMLReply Identifier Which Will discover systems in a

rack / enclosure if the automatic discovery option for the container

node is enabled ...

* Running iLO Identifier Which will discover the server if the

automatic server discovery option is enabled for iLO ...
Minor : The system Responds to the HTTP request but can not get the XML

output. It is usual for servers not to get the XML data.
Minor : If the http communication from CMS to target is working, but if it

is found to be slow then try increase increasing the Default connection

timeout parameter in the global settings for http protocol .

* Running p -Class Identifier ...
Normal: The system is not a p -Class so skipping p -Class identification .

* Running IPMI protocol identification ...
Normal: IPMI protocol not detected so skipping IPMI Identification.

* Running SSH Protocol identification ...
Normal: This system has SSH protocol support.

* Running SSH Identification ...
Normal: The system can be logged in using SSH protocol , you have a valid SSH

credential .
Normal: OS Name is Identified by the SSH Identification.
Normal: This Linux system is Identified by the SSH identification .

* Running Man WS- identification ...
Normal: A non -embedded operating system is detected so skipping the WS -MAN

identification .

* Running Monarch OA Identification ...
Normal: The system is not a monarch monarch OA OA so skipping

identification .

* Checking for System Management Homepage HP agents and other web ...
Normal: The System Management Homepage is not installed on this system . It

May not be supported.

* Running HP Serviceguard Identification ...
Normal: The system is not part of HP Serviceguard cluster.

* Running System Type SNMP manager ...

* Running SNMP subtypes identification ...

* Resolving DNS names ...
Normal: The fully qualified domain name was successfully resolved for the

system .

* Checking if the Node is a Virtual Center ...
Normal: Node is not a Virtual Center Node

* Running Virtual Machine Management ( VMM ) Plug -in Identification ...

* Building relationships system ...
Minor : The Secure Shell key- based access authentication is not configured

on the system ( s ) .
Minor : System Management Homepage ( SMH ) is not installed or is not

responding on the system ( s ) .

* Manage Communication system Running diagnostics ...

* System finished on system identification .

===================================================================================

Greetings and very good morning

Edu

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

So the SNMP does not work :

Normal: The system did not respond to SNMP. Verify security settings and

community strings in Options- > Security- > Credentials -> System

Credentials

Do you have a firewall running ? did you compare an other snmpd.conf from a server that works ?

Also look is the server that works and the server that does'nt are both 64 or both 32 bits, because otherwise the paths in the snmpd.conf could be wrong.

By the way, those system screenshots you added look fine in regards to the SNMP discovery, is the log also from that server ? i would always set the trust for the server hosting the VCRM, but in your case it's the same server. Just do a repair or just set the trust manualy...

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew