4220 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Configuration HP Sim Server and Managed System

EHAdmin
Advisor

Hi

A two logs attached below the log for the first identification of an ok server log and the other for a non-server ok.

FIRST LOG

********* Significant issues and overall target discovery/identification           status: Normal:   The system has valid hardware data (model, serial number, and           unique identifier) and has been identified properly for SIM to           manage. Normal:   System(s) have been successfully identified.

********* Additional results (listed for information only):

* Starting identification process...         * Checking for known running web servers...         * Checking for SNMP protocol support on system... Normal:   The system responded to an SNMP request; it supports SNMP Protocol           and has a valid read community string.         * Checking for SNMPv3 protocol support on system... Normal:   The system did not respond to SNMPv3. Verify security settings and           v3 credentials in Options->Security->Credentials->System           Credentials         * Running HP ProLiant management agent identification... Normal:   Identification can get the system information from the ProLiant           SNMP Foundation agents for servers.         * Running SNMP base cluster identification using common cluster           MIB... Normal:   This system does not have the common cluster MIBs support.         * Checking for WBEM protocol support on system... Minor:    This system does not have any SMI-S CIMOMs installed. No storage           systems will be found on this system. Minor:    The Central Management System (CMS) cannot communicate with the           CIMOM locally installed on the managed system using the WBEM           protocol, Identification will try to identify Windows systems using           the WMI Mapper as proxy; for Linux and HP-UX systems, check           credentials by going to Options->Security->Credentials->System           Credentials. For Linux systems also check if the HP WBEM provider           is installed.         * Running WBEM rules based identification... Minor:    Identification cannot get computer system hardware data from the           WBEM / WMI providers.         * Running Virtual Machine (VM) Host (non HP Integrity VM Host)           Identification... Normal:   The system is not a VM Host (non HP Integrity VM Host), or WBEM           credentials may not be specified so skipping VM Identification.         * Running Storage identification...         * Did not detect the WBEM protocol support on this system. SMI           storage identification will be skipped.         * Storage identification completed.         * Running HP NetServer identification... Normal:   System supports the NetServer SNMP agent, adding system type.         * Running HP-UX SNMP identification... Normal:   System does not have the HP-UX SNMP agents installed.         * Running OA Identifier which will discover systems in an enclosure           if the automatic enclosure discovery option for OA is enabled... Normal:   A non-embedded operating system is detected so skipping the OA           identification.         * Running XMLReply Identifier which will discover systems in a           rack/enclosure if the automatic discovery option for the container           node is enabled... Normal:   A non-embedded operating system is detected so skipping the           Management processor identification.         * Running iLO Identifier which will discover the server if the           automatic server discovery option for iLO is enabled... Normal:   A non-embedded operating system is detected so skipping the ILO           identification.         * Running p-Class Identifier... Normal:   The system is not a p-Class so skipping p-Class identification.         * Running IPMI protocol identification... Normal:   Skipping IPMI discovery in favor of WBEM/SNMP discovery.         * Running SSH Protocol identification... Normal:   This system has SSH protocol support.         * Running SSH Identification... Normal:   The system can be logged in using SSH protocol; has a valid SSH           credential. Normal:   OS Name is identified by the SSH Identification. Normal:   This Linux system is identified by the SSH identification.         * Running WS-Man identification... Normal:   A non-embedded operating system is detected so skipping the WS-MAN           identification.         * Running Monarch OA Identification... Normal:   The system is not a monarch OA so skipping monarch OA           identification.         * Checking for System Management Homepage and other HP web agents... Normal:   System Management Homepage (SMH) is installed or is responding on           the system(s).         * Running HP Serviceguard Identification... Normal:   The system is not part of HP Serviceguard cluster.         * Running SNMP System Type manager ... Normal:   No matching SNMP System Type Manager rule for sysObjID was found.         * Running SNMP subtypes identification...         * No additional subtype(s) found from SNMP.         * Resolving DNS names... Normal:   The fully qualified domain name was successfully resolved for the           system.         * Checking if the Node is a Virtual Center... Normal:   Node is not a Virtual Center Node         * Running Virtual Machine Management (VMM) Plug-in Identification...         * Building system relationships... Normal:   SSH is configured on this system. Major:    In order to access Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) based tools such as           System Management Homepage and Version Control Repository Manager           on remote systems without performing an additional sign-in, you           need to establish trust between the Central Management Server (CMS)           and the managed system(s).         * Running system Manage Communication diagnosis...         * System identification finished on system.

************************************************** ******************************
************************************************** ******************************
SECOND LOG

********* Significant issues and overall target discovery/identification           status: Normal:   The system has valid hardware data (model, serial number, and           unique identifier) and has been identified properly for SIM to           manage. Normal:   System(s) have been successfully identified.

********* Additional results (listed for information only):

* Starting identification process...         * Checking for known running web servers...         * Checking for SNMP protocol support on system... Normal:   The system did not respond to SNMP. Verify security settings and           community strings in Options->Security->Credentials->System           Credentials         * Checking for SNMPv3 protocol support on system... Normal:   The system did not respond to SNMPv3. Verify security settings and           v3 credentials in Options->Security->Credentials->System           Credentials         * Running HP ProLiant management agent identification... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running SNMP base cluster identification using common cluster           MIB... Normal:   SNMP is not supported or globally disabled, skipping SNMP cluster           identification.         * Checking for WBEM protocol support on system... Minor:    This system does not have any SMI-S CIMOMs installed. No storage           systems will be found on this system. Minor:    The Central Management System (CMS) cannot communicate with the           CIMOM locally installed on the managed system using the WBEM           protocol, Identification will try to identify Windows systems using           the WMI Mapper as proxy; for Linux and HP-UX systems, check           credentials by going to Options->Security->Credentials->System           Credentials. For Linux systems also check if the HP WBEM provider           is installed.         * Running WBEM rules based identification... Minor:    Identification cannot get computer system hardware data from the           WBEM / WMI providers.         * Running Virtual Machine (VM) Host (non HP Integrity VM Host)           Identification... Normal:   The system is not a VM Host (non HP Integrity VM Host), or WBEM           credentials may not be specified so skipping VM Identification.         * Running Storage identification...         * Did not detect the WBEM protocol support on this system. SMI           storage identification will be skipped.         * Storage identification completed.         * Running HP NetServer identification... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running HP-UX SNMP identification... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running OA Identifier which will discover systems in an enclosure           if the automatic enclosure discovery option for OA is enabled... Normal:   The system is not an Onboard Administrator, skipping automatic           discovery of systems in the enclosure.         * Running XMLReply Identifier which will discover systems in a           rack/enclosure if the automatic discovery option for the container           node is enabled...         * Running iLO Identifier which will discover the server if the           automatic server discovery option for iLO is enabled... Minor:    The system responds to the HTTP request but cannot get the XML           output. It is normal for servers not to get the XML data. Minor:    If the http communication from CMS to target is working, but if it           is found to be slow then try increasing the Default connection           timeout parameter for http in global protocol settings.         * Running p-Class Identifier... Normal:   The system is not a p-Class so skipping p-Class identification.         * Running IPMI protocol identification... Normal:   IPMI protocol not detected so skipping IPMI Identification.         * Running SSH Protocol identification... Normal:   This system has SSH protocol support.         * Running SSH Identification... Normal:   The system can be logged in using SSH protocol; has a valid SSH           credential. Normal:   OS Name is identified by the SSH Identification. Normal:   This Linux system is identified by the SSH identification.         * Running WS-Man identification... Normal:   A non-embedded operating system is detected so skipping the WS-MAN           identification.         * Running Monarch OA Identification... Normal:   The system is not a monarch OA so skipping monarch OA           identification.         * Checking for System Management Homepage and other HP web agents... Normal:   The System Management Homepage is not installed on this system. It           may not be supported.         * Running HP Serviceguard Identification... Normal:   The system is not part of HP Serviceguard cluster.         * Running SNMP System Type manager ... Normal:   The system does not support SNMP.         * Running SNMP subtypes identification...         * Resolving DNS names... Normal:   The fully qualified domain name was successfully resolved for the           system.         * Checking if the Node is a Virtual Center... Normal:   Node is not a Virtual Center Node         * Running Virtual Machine Management (VMM) Plug-in Identification...         * Building system relationships... Minor:    The Secure Shell key-based access authentication is not configured           on the system(s). Minor:    System Management Homepage (SMH) is not installed or is not           responding on the system(s).         * Running system Manage Communication diagnosis...         * System identification finished on system.

I understand that I need to install packages on a server that is not ok. Can be these packages!?

hpsmh-7.2.2-8.x86_64
hp-health-9.40-1602.44.rhel6.x86_64
hp-snmp-agents-9.40-2506.37.rhel6.x86_64
hp-smh-templates-9.4.0-1327.37.noarch

In this case, I'll have to do a display of installation of these packages on other servers I want to monitor, and each correctly configure smnpd.conf snmpd.conf taking as an example the server is ok.

On the other hand, when you refer to  perform the  trust manually on server VCRM, in what part of HP SIM I can not configure it? I can not see it.

Thank you so much

EHAdmin
Advisor

Hello Andrew!
Sorry to bother you again, but I still have small questions to ask to put my HP SIM server ok.
In the attached screen shot you, why not change me "software upgrade status"? I have assigned my baseline PROLIANT all machines, but I do not update that status to check hardware / software installed with the allocated baseline. What may be due this situation?
Many thanks and happy day! ;)

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Yes you need these packages, the most important thing that should be configured is fhe snmpd.conf and the ports opened on the firewall if any is enabled. The snmpd.conf can be copied from a working server if the same 64 bits snmp rpm is used.

I would guess that the Vcrm server wich is the same a the SIM server has a trust, that would mean that if you lookup the server in SIM and you would click on the SMH you would be logged on automaticly. Is that the case ?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

When i selected the baseline the software status updated right away.

If the systems have no management agents installed, SIM can't check if the baseline and installed SPP matches. When i look at the log i see that the only thing that works right now are the SSH credentials, the Linux servers that i have setup don't even need SSH to check the software status, just snmp, SMH and hp snmp agent support.

When you look at the servers that do have these packages installed they should look fine in the software status, right?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
EHAdmin
Advisor

Good morning Andrew

All servers I want to monitor is 64-bit servers , so that way no problems. I installed the monitoring packets and HP SIM agents on 4 servers to test monitoring. Also like I said in the previous post , I installed on those servers HSM package to access their homepage directly . What if I see is that , by clicking on "System Management Homepage " within the information system , take me to your SMH I login but I have , so I do not go automatically. So I understand that I would fail to set the authentication between the SIM server and the server to be monitored. How could I set it up?

On the other hand, in the attached screen capture , you can see that HP SIM and notifies me that there are pending updates on servers regarding baseline in which I 've assigned to those servers . To update the old versions , I'll have to click on "Update to Baseline" .

I still would fail to properly configure the VCA in VCRM as you can see on the last screenshot I do not understand because it gives me that error.

Muhcisimas thanks again, and happy morning!

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello Again,

If you want to set a trust you can select your servers and select Configure > Configure and repair from the menu, then click next and in the next screen only select Set Trust Relationship. If you've done this you can access the homepage trough single sig-on if the System Management Homepage is opend from within SIM. For this job you need to set credentials that have enough rights to do a certificate set. (a user with root rights)

The first screenshot looks fine, but when you want to push your updates you need credentials for these updates. Do you have these credentials setup ? When you perform these updates keep in mind that some updates are disruptive for your servers. These can include network and teaming updates.

The System Management Homepage still does not work because the local system can't access the SNMP information. Did you set access for the localhost in the snmpd.conf ? if you did did you start the software in the following snmpd > hp-health-agents > hpsmhd ?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
EHAdmin
Advisor

Hello again and sorry for asking so much ...

This is the log output of the task "Configure or Repair Agents" on one of the test servers :

/ ************************************************* ******************** /
September Trust relationship to " Trust by Certificate "
Setting Trust for System Management Homepage
Stopping System Management Homepage
Stopping hpsmhd : [ OK]
Copying / tmp/hprepair_tfvs0551/tfvs0551.xxxxx.pem to / op
t / hp / hpsmh / certs
Restarting System Management Homepage
Starting hpsmhd : [ OK]
September Trust relationship to " Trust by Certificate " ................... [SUCCESS ]

Re -identifying system to get updated information ...
Re -identification of system .................................... [SUCCESS ]

Checking Whether the HP SIM CMS can login to the SMH URL " https://tfes0201.xxxxx:2381/ "
Unable to login to the SMH using certificate .................... [ WARNING ]
Check the system configuration link by going to " Options- > Security- > System Link
Configuration " .

Also attached as I have configured my snmpd.conf file to the HP SIM server:

rocommunity public
rocommunity <community_name>
rwcommunity <community_name> 127.0.0.1

Were # Following entries added by HP Insight Management Agents at
# Tue 5 February 2014 12:09:57 WET

dlmod Cmax / usr/lib64/libcmaX64.so
rwcommunity public 127.0.0.1
rocommunity public 127.0.0.1
rwcommunity public 10.140.220.63 -> HP SIM server IP
rocommunity public 10.140.220.63
trapcommunity public
10.140.220.63 trapsink public

Another question I wanted to make :

In my repository VCRM have some baselines that I downloaded from the HP web site, as seen in the screenshot that you attached. Within my HP SIM can only see two of the four baselines I uploaded to the repository. What make me kick for the HP SIM server detected last me updated baseline corresponding to the 2014.02 version?

Thank you very much again ...

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

I'm glad to help, so for the VCRM part first, ehen you access you HP SIM System Management Homepage you also have a VCRM link. See if you see your baselines there. If you do, restart your SIM service and see if that helps. If you don't see your baselines you can do a scan repository from the VCRM interface or just restart the VCRM. If you restart that should also trigger a scan of the repository directory.

If you still don't see the baseline, unpack the SPP and put the unpacked directory in the VCRM directory. On the other issues i will reply tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
EHAdmin
Advisor

Very good morning Andrew !

I've solved the issue had not seen the baselines going up my VCRM directory . As you told me , restart the machine and I already loaded the latest version of the baseline for RedHat I put in the repository.

It is taking shape my HP SIM , I've assigned to my new baseline Proliant RedHat servers and subnets have in my check and update me what to compare installed versions and the SPP .

On the other hand, in the SMH my HP SIM server still shows me the message "Software Status" as "Unable to collect Installed software , not running SNMP agents ." Deputy screenshot so you know exactly what is what I mean. I have seen in HP SIM documentation that within the SMH has more options , for example , generate a customized Baseline selecting the software you want to stick within that baseline .

Tell you my HP SIM server is a virtual machine , do you have something to do that is a virtual machine?

No more , thank you very much again and best regards !

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

I've had SIM servers that were Virtual servers so that should not be a problem. The only software you need to build HP SIM on is the System Management Homepage. And you got that installed. (it's included in the Hp SIM install).

When i look at your System Management Homepage the top part shows no ILO or System Model. So the system can't read it's own information. If the system can't read it's own information it can't compare the VCA information to the actual system. I've attached a small screenshot of a server that has a valid hardware type discovered. If SIM can read the information it could be that the server it self cannot. If you open de main SMH does it show the information like ILO, array controller, System etc... ?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew