7561 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configure email settings - test message failed - auth error

Adam X. White
Advisor

Configure email settings - test message failed - auth error

Hi all

I am currently installing HP SIM 6.0 and encountered a problem with email settings.

My mail server is hMailServer 5.3 which is an SMTP/IMAP service running on the Windows Server 2003 CMS.

I have entered the following settings into the config wizard

SMTP host = cms.domain
Sender's email address = hpsim@domain
Send test mail = on
Recipient's email address = test-admin@domain
Server requires authentication = off

When I click on "Send test mail now" I receive the error "The email could not be sent: authentication error"

Looking at the SMTP log on my mail server I see the following:
"SENT: 220 cms.domain ESMTP"
"RECEIVED: EHLO cms"
"SENT: 250-cms.domain[nl]250-SIZE 20480000[nl]250 AUTH LOGIN"
"RECEIVED: AUTH LOGIN"
"SENT: 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6"
"RECEIVED: "
"SENT: 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6"
"RECEIVED: ***"
"SENT: 535 Authentication failed. Restarting authentication process."

So even though I have disabled "server requires authentication" in the HP SIM config it appears the client (HP SIM) is still trying, and failing, to authenticate against the server (hMailServer), as shown by "RECEIVED: AUTH LOGIN".

According to the config settings I can see in hMailServer, and the documentation, authentication is not required for delivery from and to local email addresses. In this case both hpsim@domain and test-admin@domain accounts are hosted on the same server cms.domain. If I attempt to send mail via Outlook through this server or even telnet I can just send a "MAIL FROM:" instead of an "AUTH LOGIN" and it all works fine.

The workaround for this issue seems to be to set "Server requires authentication = on" in the HP SIM wizard and enter valid credentials for the mail server. Is this expected behaviour for HP SIM?

Thanks

Adam White
3 REPLIES 3
WIS_1

Hi,
I have the same issue. However the workaround with the first time wizard doesnt work either...
The strange thing is that my SIM 5.5 server is working fine with these settings, the newly installed 6.0 not...
Same user account used, same password...

What else can be checked?
SuryaW

I had the same issue with test message. However, alert still working. The best way to test, set alert for sign-in and sign-out alert.
Thijs Tomme
Visitor

I have the same problem. Was this problem ever resolved?

Thijs Tomme
Thijs