New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configure or Repair Agents rather than deploy new PSP's at first

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Configure or Repair Agents rather than deploy new PSP's at first

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking with our mix of various hp Insight Agents out there maybe the Configure or Repair Agents feature is the way to go at first and follow that up with a slower deployment of PSP's.

The PSP and Insight Agents are installed on our systems but configuration varies.

Does anyone have experience trying this to standardize their environment? It's always nice to hear real world experience.

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

A long time ago now....

Note that there are differences in what version can be used for older OSes. e.g. NT4 stops at 6.31 I think.
Also with the older agents they used a account/password file (cpqhmmd.acl) rather than a local or domain or other type of account.

If there are wild variations then you might want to tread carefully, HPSIM can monitor servers using the old PSPs. There may be a loss of some functionality. So getting the existing PSP's properly configured for HPSIM would be a good way to go.
I'd look at possibly tying in PSP updates with other updates or maintenance for the servers.

Also remember the reporting from HPSIM, you can get a list of Software installed and then sort that by name to get a good idea of versions in use.
Cindy Osborn
Valued Contributor
Solution

Dana,

We are just finishing this process for our field servers that have not been getting updated from their initial deployment. So we had 4.9, 5.3, 6.3, 6.4, 7.0 and quite a few other versions. Here's the process we did that worked and pieces that broke.

1. Deploy the certificate using configure or repair agents by setting the trust relationship to trust by certificate. Also select the Configure SNMP.

2. Run Identify task.
3. Build a custom support pack in VCRM that just has the vca and smh version that you wish to standardize your company on. ie I chose the versions in he 7.6 psp because of all the chatter with issues being reported on this board. Note: make sure you've configured both the vca and SMH before you build your custom pack.

4. Deploy out your custom support pack as an initial deployment to your servers. Here is where timing was tricky for me. I have very strict maintenance windows for reboots. So I did this deployment without selecting the option for reboot the week leading up to my Windows OS patch window. So I let the OS patches reboot the system.

5. After the reboot, I ran identify, software polling and data collection choosing to overwrite the data.

6. Next I built collections that for trusted servers with agents with any version. This then gives you a collection that shows the version of the agents installed that you can sort by and work from. Any servers that have older than 7.0 on them we found it was better to do a manual install of the older pieces and then do an initial deployment of the 7.6 agents. For the 7.6 agents we built a custom support pack without the Nic or the Network control applet included. There are problems deploying the these in the old machines where the nic will go nuts in windows. I couldn't narrow it down to a specfic model or nic model so we went with deploying without it. Then we will go back and deploy these two items by model and nic installed.

I found we had no problem updating from 7.0 to 7.6 without first removing the installed version.

After the trust is established then you can also use your collections to update the snmp to what you want your standard to be before you do the uninstalls. If you are going to run Remote support you will need both a read only string and a read-write string. We configure one of the agents 7.0 to 7.30 for each 2k and 2k3. Then use this to repicate the snmp community strings and the trap destinations out. Make sure you use one 2k example to do the 2k machines and a 2k3 example to do the 2k3 machines. If you try to use 2k to do 2k3 it caused problems for us.

Also on the snmp if you currently have your servers set to accept from any hosts then don't replicate this option out. One of the guys here changed this to accept only from certain hosts by mistake and then we tried to replicate back out to set it back to accept from any hosts and it just wrote garbage to the target. A support case was opened and they could not provide a solution to fix this.

I know this isn't an easy list of getting everything cleaned up and reporting. Trust I know I have 1300 servers in the field that we are having to do this on. Then I have another 900 here at the data center that had to be updated from 7.0 and moved to a new SIM box.

We did do the removals manually as I didn't have and couldn't find silent uninstall directions that I could put in a vb script.

Hope this helps.

Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Thanks Cindy!

That was a great post.

Wow, 2000+ servers! I thought I had allot of servers to deal with. I have another data-center to configure but nothing on that scale of servers at both sites.

Our windows for server reboots isn't too bad. The documentation for change control can take some work :)

I'm pretty sure with the number of servers you have, you have the same type of change control processes.

I really appreciate the post. It will help with this transition.

Thanks again!

Dana
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Thanks Rob!

I have the production servers up and the auto-discovery run. Once I get the user group security worked out I'll finish some key documentation and then take over the servers with the configure/repair agents.

I have to let my management know we still should upgrade the PSP's. At least it can be done at a relaxed rate. I thought we were going to have to upgrade the servers PSP first.

Cindy mentioned using PSP 7.60 because of issues mentioned on this group. I'll have to read up the posts and see what problems there have been with Windows 2003 PSP 7.70.

Thanks!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I'd tend to back that, PSP 7.70 has caused some issues here.
But, there is an issue with disk space reporting on 7.60, there a 7.80 release of the management agents that is supposed to fix it.
I've not yet tested that on one of our servers where the figures are incorrect.
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Thanks Rob,

I'll make sure to note down the disk space reports as a potential issue in 7.60.

Has the PSP 7.70 issues occur on an upgrade vs. a new install of a server with 7.70?

Thanks,
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I just thought I would throw my 2 cents in:)

Cindy is correct about the NIC and network software, but the problems are not just with older boxes. Most of our servers have been replaced within the last two years. We have had so much trouble with the NIC and network software in the newer PSP's that we have finally uninstalled the network config utility on all of our servers. After doing this, the NIC upgrades went a lot smoother!

Rob is correct about the disk reporting problem with 7.60, but when we upgraded all of our servers to 7.70, the issue was fixed.
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Thanks Rancher,

I'm going to start on just one model / OS / PSP and see how the PSP push goes for 1 machine, then 2, baby steps...

If we run into the issues you have your idea sounds like a good one.

How did you un-install the NIC management agents on all your servers like that?

Thanks!
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately I had to do it manually on each server. It needs to uninstalled through Network Connections. We had all kinds of trouble with teaming and thought this was why we were having so much trouble updating the NIC drivers. We decided to get rid of all the teaming (which also caused toruble druing reboots), and still had problems unless we updated the Network Config software before the Nic. This didn't always work either! We finally decided to uninstall the network config software and it has made our lives MUCH easier!