1753474 Members
4606 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuring 2 insight manager 5.3 servers

Debra Pinson
Occasional Advisor

Configuring 2 insight manager 5.3 servers

I have installed insight manager 5.3 on 2 different windows 2003 servers. One is for our home office and one is for a location a few miles from the home office. The servers currently see each other, have diff ip addresses and diff host names. I want to configure fail over and found a doc on that. My problem is that I am not sure about the initial configuration. When you update cms information such as ip ranges on one both servers get the change so are thy supposed to be segmented or are they supposed to get all on both.
8 REPLIES 8
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

why do you want to have 2 SIM servers ? how many managed nodes are at each site ? If both sites are connected why not just use a single SIM server.
Debra Pinson
Occasional Advisor

We want to use the failover option. The documentation gives me the information to configure the collection sets for the two servers but I am not finding any information on configuring the port, host name, and ip address. Currently the port is 50000 for both and the host name and ip addresses are different. Yet what I do on one also updates the other. Is that the way that it is supposed to work. HP just told me they do not support 2 servers but if they have a doc on failover there must be some type of support for 2 servers.
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

hi

the document you are probably referring to i the following I suppose :
http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim_53_creatingEventHandler.pdf

The goal is to have two HP SIM servers that manage Event Notification for local devices, say, City A and City B. In normal operation, CMS A manages only City A servers and CMS B manages only City B servers. In some situation, the HP SIM server in City A fails, it is desirable to have City B automatically detect this and run a task that would enable it to handle alerts on City A server in addition to its own population. The basic configuration is that each CMS has a full population of all
devices being monitored, both from City A and B. This document describes a method to achieve that failover.

this means that each servers sees all the devices, but also that CMS of city A handles events by default only for devices in city A. Same thing for city B.

The failover here is only a matter adding more event handling on one of the server when the second one is down.

hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Debra Pinson
Occasional Advisor

The point keeps getting missed. I have 2 insight servers each with their own host name and ip address. However, I no longer get notifications on the servers as the servers conflict with each other. I am trying to resolve this conflict so that I can proceed with the failover setup. HP's answer was to tell me they do not support 2 servers but if they provide docs on failover that must not be the case. I can find nothing that tells me why there is a conflict. I have configured wbem and if I do snmp only would it resolve it? Is there a way to change the port information? Is there a reason to configure wbem at all? Will snmp take care of all monitoring needs on all servers?
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Hi again

I have configured wbem and if I do snmp only would it resolve it?
=>I would say so. Besides a wbem indication can only be registered to a single CMS I think...that is why the doc refers mainly to snmp and why you are witnessing theses wbem issues with 2 cms.

Is there a way to change the port information? which one the wbem one or snmp ?

Is there a reason to configure wbem at all?
=>In your case,probably no.

More info on wbem providers here :
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/wbem/index.html
wbem advantages over snmp :
Heightened Security
Reduced complexity of setup and configuration
Guaranteed event delivery
Reduces overall load on the server
Facilitates the development of platform-neutral reusable infrastructure, tools and applications

Will snmp take care of all monitoring needs on all servers?

=>Yes it will simply select the data source to be snmp in the System management homepage of the servers.And follow the doc regaring snmp configuration.

hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Rob Mills
Frequent Advisor

actually Fred, I have successfully used WBEM to send indications to two CMS's simultaneously, it is a straight forward setup.
Debra Pinson
Occasional Advisor

If you have been successful please fill me in on the details if you can. Is there anything unique that needs to be done with the servers when you build them and are they both ok to communicate with the same database on a sql server once the failover is set up. I ended up with a corrupted database when attempting to set up the second server but did have a database on both servers.
Rob Mills
Frequent Advisor

not with the same database, give them individual databases, you can use the same instance if you wish.

for the managed servers, you need to discover them on each cms, then make sure they have working trusts to each cms. Then all you need to do is subscribe to the WBEM events and test it.