Re: Configuring SIM V4.2 To Respond To SNMP Traps From Undiscovered Devices

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anthony Kearns
Occasional Advisor

Configuring SIM V4.2 To Respond To SNMP Traps From Undiscovered Devices

Hello there.

A somewhat complex question for you all:

We have two SIM V4.2 environments seperated via a firewall. The first SIM (call it "CMS 1") server on the "live" network is configured to send email alerts on receiving SNMP traps -which functions correctly. The other SIM server (call it "CMS 2") sits is a "DMZ" (secure network) and is configured to forward any alerts as an SNMP trap to "CMS 1". Again this functions correctly (i.e. the correct ports are open on the firewall).

However "CMS 1" will not accept and therefore not respond to events forward it by "CMS 2" as the source of the events (the servers in the DMZ) are not registered devices on it.

My question is: Is there anyway we can force "CMS 1" to respond to these traps other than adding all the servers in the DMZ to "CMS 1" as well as "CMS 2"?

The above is a simplification of the network and the option of allowing "CMS 2" to communicate alerts via SMTP is not a desired one unless all avenues are exhausted.

Hope someone out there has managed to read this far! Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

Anthony
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Unforutnately, you can't have an event without a device. However, an easy workaround would be to set the second CMS to autodiscover based on receipt of a trap. That way you wouldn't have to populate the entire set of devices; they would pop up only when an event is received. You could presumably delete the device once you've dealt with the event.
Anthony Kearns
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for that David. I've seen the option you are referring to and also suspected that what I was trying to achieve wasn't possible. However I'm going to use the option of opening the firewall to allow SMTP straight to our SMTP server from CMS 2 (which will involve a static route entry-something I was trying to avoid but more desirable than having a lot servers
"unreachable" from CMS 1). Thanks again for your exceptionally prompt assistance.

ACK