1748030 Members
4894 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Constant coldStart event every couple of hours in a Vmware 5.1 host

GustavoAyala
Advisor

Constant coldStart event every couple of hours in a Vmware 5.1 host

I'm getting constant sequences of these events.

imagen.png

I don't understand what is "rebooting" or coldstarting. Some Vmware agent I don't know of or what?
These hosts have installed HP customized ESXi 5.1 ISO images.

Looking at the Health Status Array Change occurred (11020)  long string
02-02-02-02-02-02-02-02-02-02-02-02-02-02-02-02-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

it seems something change, but between 02 and 00 (which means undefined according to the mib)

This is the host

Product Description
System Type Server
System Subtype VMware ESX Host, Virtual Machine Host, HP ProLiant, x86 System, Embedded
Product Model ProLiant DL380p Gen8
OS Name VMware ESXi 5.1.0 build-1483097
OS Type Hypervisor
OS Version 5.1.0
OS Description #1 SMP Release build-1483097 Dec 15 2013 16:28:37
Management Protocols WBEM:1.0, SSH:SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.6
Embedded Remote Support Disabled

Any ideas?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

The first time i saw that event was in the 9.1 windows agent. Please update the agent you're running.

The event you get is a bug. I used to get thousands of these events. If that does not work you could also look to update your ILO 4 if your firmware is 1.22 or older, see the following link for more info on http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03961195-1%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&ac.admitted=1406319651887.87...

Kind regards,

Andrew
GustavoAyala
Advisor

It's a Vmware 5.1 host, not windows.
DL380p G8.
Also It has iLO 1.51, but I'm having this problem since prior versions, always updating hoping to resolve it, but it never was.
The event is associated with the host itself, not the Management Processor.
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

You could make a dirty fix and tell SIM not to handle these type of events in the cpqhost.mib. Set the Enable Trap Handling to No in the cpqHoMibHealthStatusArrayChangeTrap. You can do this in SIM under Options > Events > SNMP Trap settings. Not the best workaround but it does the job. If you do an update of your SIM installation you have to reply this workaround because the MIB file get's overwritten. If you did the latest ILo firmware fix and the latest ESX software you don't have an other option in would think.
Kind regards,

Andrew
GustavoAyala
Advisor

Thanks, yeah, I know, but I don't want to potentially miss some other valid trap from other systems (I'm kind of paranoid, I know)
Maybe I'll try some task, automatic event handling/delete rule, just for these traps and just for a collection of those 2 systems.
I don't know if i can proritize it before any other rule.
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

The 11020 event would be the only type of event that you would miss. In the past i have not missed anything disabeling this event. You should still be able to receive other event like broken disks and accelerator errors like battery failures. See the other traps you wilo keep ketting in the mib.

Kind regards,

Andrew
GustavoAyala
Advisor

Ok, if it finally gets very annoying, I'll try that workaround.
Thanks.
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Sorry i can't fix the bugs but it's the next best thing. If you go ahead be aware that the events that don't get handeled stay in the traps folder in the Insight Manager installation folder. That's not a big problem just take a look in that directory and cleanup if needed. Up to 500000 events should not give a problem but cleanup sooner than that. You could run a shedule to clean these files once a day or week. Not the solution you'd want but it beats the events in SIM and the database because that will kill performance in the end.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Rimvydas
Frequent Advisor

Andrew,

Could you clarify where is this folder? And as regarding scheduled task - are you talking about scheduled task in HP SIM?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

The folder you're looking for is the Insight Manager installation folder and then the traps folder.

There can be quite a lot of XML files (these are the traps), the number of files should flucuate but thould not grow above more than 5000 files. I've had the problem that a bug created more that 2 miliion files.

Kind regards,

Andrew