1753726 Members
4661 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Contract and Warranty Data Collection no longer works in SIM 5.2

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Contract and Warranty Data Collection no longer works in SIM 5.2

I just noticed a few days ago, the Data/Warrantly collection option in SIM 5.2 no longer works for me. It may have been broken for weeks - I really don't know when it started. The error I get is this:

Sending contract and warranty request to the hp.com back-end contract and warranty service using Service Essentials Remote Support Pack client.
There was no response from the Service Essentials Remote Support Pack client and/or the remote back-end contract and warranty service at hp.com. Verify the Service Essentials Remote Support Pack client service is running, properly configured and that the HP SIM server has access to the internet.

I have not upgraded to SIM 5.3 because of all the horror stories I have been reading on this forum.

I read in the Remote Support Pack 5.2 upgrade guide that I need to update to 5.2, even on SIM 5.2.:

The upgrade can also be obtained through the Remote Support Software Management Upgrade Tool package from within RSSWM. This software is a one-time migration tool that will deliver to you a new version of the Remote Support Software Manager framework as well as the full suite of the A.05.20 Remote Support applications. Core Remote Support applications will be installed automatically at the time you run the upgrade tool. All other applications with an Effective Automation Level of Automatic Install will be installed and/or upgraded during your allowed update window for downloading and installing Remote Support applications.

So I downloaded this, but it never installs. It downloads...but that is it. So I have two questions:

1) Will this even fix my problem, or am I just wasting my time trying to do this upgrade.
2) How do I install the upgrade to 5.2? Once it is downloaded what do I do next?

Thanks
Nelson
6 REPLIES 6
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Contract and Warranty Data Collection no longer works in SIM 5.2

After some digging, I found this directory on the SIM server (which the correct time stamp of when I did the download):

c:\Program Files\HP\SWMUpgrade

So I decided to run "setup.exe" and it looked like what I needed. But it got half way done and then just started failing. See attached screen shot.

Anyone got any ideas? Log files I can look at to help troubleshoot?

Thanks
Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thats pretty sweet - it says it failed, but the Contract and Warranty part did upgrade and now works...wonderful. Oh well, its working.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I had to manually run the update program. It was located in:
c:\Program Files\HP\SWMUpgrade.

Run setup.exe and then just ignore the "failure" messages - it actually upgrades and works.

Nelson
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Nelson, Where did you download this? I have not been able to find anything but documentation!
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

If you run the "Remote Support Software Manager (Windows Administrators only)" tool, you will see a package called:

"Remote Support Software Management Upgrade Tool"

If you download and "install" this, it download the upgrade tool, and I would have assumed it would have "run" it. For me it did not, so I had to run it manually from the "C:\Program Files\HP\SWMUpgrade" directory.

Its a real treat. All I want is the SIM integration part so I can collect warranty information. But it installs a whole bunch of other junk that I have no idea what it does or want. Plus I am still on SQL 2000, but one of these components that I did not want installed SQL 2005 express. So now I got a bunch of junk on my server that I dont want consumming needless resouces.

But I am not bitter ;)
Nelson
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I'm guessing some of the other stuff is the ISEE replacement and WEBES.

There's an other component (OSEM if memory serves) that is installed as well. No idea what that does here. This is stuff that came down with the 5.3 install.

No idea what the latter does, but the other pieces seem to be to allow the old ISEE to be removed as it's no longer to be used post 1/Jun/09.