1753809 Members
8705 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL 360 G3 and DL380 G2 - Unmanaged in HP SIM 5.0 - SP5

Jon White
Regular Advisor

DL 360 G3 and DL380 G2 - Unmanaged in HP SIM 5.0 - SP5

I have read the other thread on here about 'Unanaged server' status messages in HP SIM. On two DL360 G3's and one DL380 G2, they are all reporting as Unmanged.

1> I have upgraded their firmware to 7.90.
2> Ran Support Pack 7.90 to update all drivers.
3> I have verified that the SNMP service on all servers is the correct community and other information.
4> I have verified that the Allow from Hosts includes the IP address of my Insight server.

Questions:
1> Somebody mentioned that they added Public back to the SNMP and got rid of the problem. I have other servers that are inventoried fine and don't have Public on them.
2> Somebody mentioned about checking the agents on the servers. I went to Control Panel / HP Management Agents. I don't see anything there that appears to be out of the ordinary.

Anybody have any suggestions of where else to try? It is only these three servers, so the problem is not wide spread (thankfully).
No matter where you go, there you are....
7 REPLIES 7
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

"Unmanaged" means that HP SIM can't find / can't authenticate to a management protocol. With what you tried, look at anything that could be blocking SNMP like a router that denies port 161 or something. You also can use "Configure or Repair Agents" from HP SIM to absolutely set the comm values correctly.
Jon White
Regular Advisor

Please give details on how to do what you mentioned:

You also can use "Configure or Repair Agents" from HP SIM to absolutely set the comm values correctly.

I am not familiar with how to do that.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

In HP SIM, Configure --> Configure or Repair Agents.
Jon White
Regular Advisor

Thank you for clarifying that. I ran the repair and got the following:

Server:

Details:

Failed to create indication subscription

SNMP READ-ONLY community string not updated because it already exists with different rights.

Successfully created a unique SNMP READ-WRITE community string needed by the HP Web Agent.

At the bottom of the results was this:

Error when trying to establish SSH connection, to determine operating system name. com.hp.mx.dtf.sshClient.MxSshFailedException: Ssh Operation failed for node: . :Connection timed out: connect

No valid path to talk to CIMOM for
Jon White
Regular Advisor

I have upgrade to SIM 5.1 / SP2. Those three systems are still coming up as Unmanaged Servers. Any other suggestions?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Manually check SNMP on the server, you don't mention the OS on the host but there are some requirements.
SNMP must have a community name that HPSIM is also configured for - default is public.
SNMP must be configured to allow the HPSIM Host, default for W2K3 is to Allow no hosts. You'll need both HPSIM and localhost as allowed hosts.
For completeness the HPSIM Trap send should be configured with the HPSIUM Server as a trap destination.
Jon White
Regular Advisor

The operating system is Windows 2003 Server - Enterprise Edition - SP1.

The community name matches that of the Insight Manager server and other servers that report to HPSIM.

The trap destination is that of the Insight Manager server and matches the other servers that report to HPSIM.

On security:
The Send Authentication trap is checked.
The community name is correct and is set to READ CREATE.
I have the IP address of the HPSIM server in the 'Accept SNMP packets from these hosts'.
I do not have localhost listed, but other servers that report to HPSIM likewise do not have localhost listed in this block.
The dependencies show the HP agent services that other systems have listed.