108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL145G2 Shows "Unknown" in SIM 5.0.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

DL145G2 Shows "Unknown" in SIM 5.0.

I have several new DL145G2's that I have added into SIM 5.0 and I cannot get any status from these devices other than unknown. I cannot find any agents or drivers that would install on the DL145G2 to support getting the information from SIM. I would think SIM would be able to see this device since it is a Proliant after all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DL145G2 Shows "Unknown" in SIM 5.0.

Todd,
There are no managements agents for DL 1xx servers, so you need to use WBEM/WMI.
Set the WBEM username/password in
Options->Protocol Settings->Global Protocol Settings and do discovery.
Set SNMP community string on these servers if you want to use SNMP traps.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

So, set the WBEM username and password to an account that has access to the device in question. Will it then find out what type of device it is, without me having to input the information manually?
Jim Walsh_2
Frequent Advisor

if wmi/wbem is install on the target
if you have an administrator account from the target

doing a discovery/identify should find all the information you are looking for about the server

SNMP would provide some more, but is not required
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

I have 2 separate SIM Servers and one the servers will communicate to the target with WBEM and get all the information I would expect to see.

The one HP SIM server that is not getting the correct information is running in a VM and not on an actual server. Is this a problem has anyone else experienced this?

This is really frustrating. Both SIM servers are setup and one works the other does not.

Also, the way that SIM communicates to the target through WBEM is a little strange. If you do a discovery of the device if you have more than one account in WBEM it only uses the first account to talk to the device, so having multiple accounts in there seems to be pointless.
Jim Walsh_2
Frequent Advisor

sorry, best i can tell you is that i only ever hear over and over from HP about how SIM isnt supported running in a VM...not sure why, but I've always had hardware available for it so I havent had to test it myself.

can you send snmp test traps to the secondary SIM server?

usually a server only wants to have one SIM server to talk to, and switching between the two could be whats causing the issue. having two sim servers in your environment could be inviting more trouble than its really worth
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Jim,
Thanks for the feedback about SIM not being supported in a VM that helps alot. The 2 servers are in different regions and the only reason I pointed it to the other was to find out if indeed it was something to do with running in a VM or not. Once I did this then I know it was not the client configuration it had something to do with the SIM server and as you have stated SIM is not supported in a VM.
Appreciate your quick feedback.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Todd,
Did you see these threads?
"Running SIM on Virtual Machine?"
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=845099
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=800274
Both threads talk about HPSIM 4.2 version,
but maybe you can open new thread and ask question about HPSIM 5.0 VM support.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the information. I am thinking that there is more to the WBEM stuff than is led on and that is what is causing all my issues. The DL140's and DL145's will show up in SIM correctly and then if a discovery occurs they go back to unknown. Really frustrating, but either way I still have not gotten the SIM running in a VM to see the DL140's or DL145's correctly at all. No matter what I do, they show up as unknown.

I can see them with another SIM server that is running on a piece of hardware.