1752815 Members
5988 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DNS names are not showing

Darleen Crowley
Occasional Advisor

DNS names are not showing

All of our servers have multiple IP addresses. For some reason the System name is coming up as one of the secondary IP addresses instead of the DNS name for the localy hosted dns zone. Other than manually editing each individual server's property name field, is there a way to 'fix' this? Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

Re: DNS names are not showing

Try adding your server via 'manual discovery' and fill out the hostname instead of the main IP address. This usually does the trick for me.
Darleen Crowley
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your information. That does work. I know of a few other workarounds too, however, there are too many servers to do manual discovery with. I am trying to find the reason why some servers System Name come up with their respective DNS names and why others are coming up as one of the IP addresses on the box. If I can 'fix' this setting on the servers, I can re-discover all of them.
Mariano De Luca
Advisor

You'll need to configure your REVERSE DNS, had the same issues and SIM discovers via IP which in turn is resolved using reverse DNS if not on the same domain.
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

Mariano, indeed that is correct, just create a PTR record aside of each a-record.
asc_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
Try using Options-security-System Link Configuration and select the option "use the systems full DNS".
Run a re-identification (or delete and re-discover) the systems. This hopefully will resolve the issue
Darleen Crowley
Occasional Advisor

I thank all of you for your feedback. I will respond again with results. I was out of the office for a few days.