New Discussion юеВ

Re: Daily notification "SIM is alive"

SOLVED
Go to solution
KFKGmbH
Advisor

Daily notification "SIM is alive"

Hello.
I┬┤m relatively new to SIM, but we want to use it more in the future.
Does anybody know how we can configure a daily e-mail to know the SIM is running and the e-mail-notification is still working, optional with status of the servers? In smaller environments, there is nobody that looks after the SIM and the servers every day, so it would be useful to have this "alive"-notifications.
E-Mail-notification in case of errors is working except a problem with ESXi and WBEM, but that is another thread.
Thank you very much.
Thorsten
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You'd need to script something. But in truth I'd really try and establish a set up where HPSIM is started and brought up on a daily basis.
It shouldn't break too often once its up and running.
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Hi Thorsten.

Rob is right, that is exactly what we are doing. I have set up a scheduled task that runs every hour on a managed server (not the SIM server itself) and sends a trap using trapgen.exe.
When I receive the notification, I'm sure that :
- sim is running
- it can handle the traps
- it can send email notifications.
Regards.
KFKGmbH
Advisor

Hello and thank you very much fo your quick answers. TrapGen.exe seems to be the right direction, but do you know if it is possible to create a "major" or "critical" SNMP-Event with TrapGen.exe?
Best regards
Thorsten
KFKGmbH
Advisor

Rob,
the SIMs are running 24/7, but there is nobody that looks after them, so I only want a daily notification from it like "I am still running". Otherwise we never know if there is really no problem or cant SIM report the problems anymore.
Best regards
Thorsten
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hello.

The trap severity is managed by SIM. Trapgen sends a trap and sim determines it's severity using the informations from the Mibs it has compiled.

You must find a critical or major trap in the trap defined in Sim, find it's OID with the MIB file and use this OID with trapgen.

To avoid any confusion with a 'live' trap, use one from an equipment that doesn't exist on the server that sends the trap, like a SAN or UPS trap. Like this you can make the difference between the trap from the 'i m alive' task and a real one.

An other solution is to set up a backup sim server (solution we have retained), each sim surveying the other. But more expensive of course.

Regards.
KFKGmbH
Advisor

Hello Olivier.

Yes, this did the trick.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Thorsten
KFKGmbH
Advisor