4870 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Collection Timeout ESXi servers WBEM connection

AnnaSIM
Advisor

Data Collection Timeout ESXi servers WBEM connection

Hello Dear Forum people

I am experiencing the same problem in all my ESXi servers , all of them discoverd good but and then showing me the error in the events log:

The Data Collection task could not complete due to a timeout or the task was stopped by the user. A timeout indicates problems with the instrumentation (SNMP/WBEM/DMI) on the target machine 

They all have the suitable agents for hpsim , and we are working with WBEM .

Because of this problems seems they cannot report on any problems  and therefore my environment is not safe 

What can be wrong ? please help , its really urgent

Thanks tons in advanced,

Let me know if you need any more information

6 REPLIES 6
AnnaSIM
Advisor

In addition to that , I checked the logs in the Data collection , it shows the next error in Stdout :

this system does not have any supported instrumentation.
Root Cause: Identification failed to detect any supported instrumentation (e.g. SNMP, DMI, WBEM) on this system.
Corrective Action: Check network and configuration of target system.  Check the following pages to ensure appropriate credentials and data are provided: Global Protocol Settings, System Protocol Settings, WMI Mapper Proxy.  Rerun Identification and then Data Collection.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Are the ESX servers gen8 or newer? And to you have Agentless Management software installed ?

Kind regards,

Andrew
AnnaSIM
Advisor

first of all thanks Andrew ,

They all have HPE ESXi Offline Bundle for VMware vSphere 5.5 which includes the AMS(agentless management service)

Regarding the gen generation i will have to check .

I have found some previoes comments saying that gen 8 and above could only be managed in agentless way.... Is that true?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

If the server is a gen8 or newer you should only use Agentless Management software. The problem is that if you try both ILO/AMS and WBEM you will run into the problems you mentioned. If you have your WBEM. credentials stored in the general settings you need to exclude your GEN8 or newer servers. If you need help with that let me know. You need to create a datacollection collection to exclude GEN8 or newer servers. This collection needs to be set at the initial datacollection and bi weekly datacollection. You will lose info and datacollection will give errors.

Did you set your ILO SNMP settings on the ILO?
Kind regards,

Andrew
AnnaSIM
Advisor

Hi Andrew, 

the event "data collection retry timout" occures in both: server gen8 and above, and under , for exmaple: gen6 

I will take your advice and will devide it to agent monitoring and agentless monitoring accourding to gen version. 

How do i exclude the gen8 or newer servers? how am I creating this type of datacollection as you mentioned in your comment? 

again - thank you so much for your great help . 

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

When you are logged in into SIM look at the left part of the SIM interface and look for the System and Event Collections and click the customize link in that field. Now you get a new screen and select NEW from here. Here you can create a new collection of thing to run a datacollection for. I called mine Datacollection_V2.0 and the filter looks like this:

Where IP address is between 0.0.0.1 and 255.255.255.254

and Product name is not Integrated Lights-Out 3 (ILO3)

and Product name in not Integrated Lights-Out 2 (ILO2)

and Product name does not contain Gen

Then i saved this collection. From the menu you select Tasks and Logs > View all Sheduled Tasks and edit the Datacollection and Initial Datacollection the use the new created Datacollection. This way the inital datacollection and sheduled datacollection stop running Datacollection for all Gen8 and Gen9 server and only run this for the ILO 4. If you like you can edit the collection to keep running datacollection for ILO2 and ILO3 but i don't get any good info from the ILO2 & ILO3 so i've disabled them. I do seem to keep getting the ILO versions for the ILO2 and ILO3 so i don't seem to be missing anything. By not running  these datacollections the jobs runs faster. I also try to keep credentials in seperate discovery jobs for the OS that needs then so WBEM credentials needed for Gen7 and below don't get used for Gen8 servers. When Gen8 and above try to use ILO/AMS and WBEM or SNMP on the OS i keep running into problems that you mentioned in the post. like not being able to monitor then using any prototol.

Kind regards,

Andrew