cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Collection Timeouts

Gerald Orban
Occasional Contributor

Data Collection Timeouts

I'm using the out-of-the-box Bi-Weekly Data Collection Task in my environment (HP SIM 7.1 with hotfixes up to 28).

On a regular basis I am getting the following email;

The Data Collection task could not complete due to a timeout or the task was stopped by the user. A timeout indicates problems with the instrumentation (SNMP/WBEM/DMI) on the target machine.

Within HP SIM the associated Data Collection Task log provides the following additional information;

[WBEM] Data collection on this system has exceeded the allowed time.
Root Cause: Data collection on the target system has taken longer than allowed.  This can be due to network connectivity issues, a busy target system, or timeout values set too low.
Corrective Action: Check network and configuration of target system.  Check the following settings (and adjust values as needed) using mxglobalsettings: Detached_DC_Timeout, Storage_DC_Timeout, DC_Abandon_Latency (all in seconds)

[HPUX-DMI] Data collection on this system has exceeded the allowed time.
Root Cause: Data collection on the target system has taken longer than allowed.  This can be due to network connectivity issues, a busy target system, or timeout values set too low.
Corrective Action: Check network and configuration of target system.  Check the following settings (and adjust values as needed) using mxglobalsettings: Detached_DC_Timeout, DC_Abandon_Latency (all in seconds)

Data collection on this system was aborted due to a timeout or it was abruptly stopped.  Data may be incomplete.
Corrective Action: Check network and configuration of target system.  Check the following settings (and adjust values as needed) using mxglobalsettings: Detached_DC_Timeout, Storage_DC_Timeout, DC_Abandon_Latency (all in seconds)

I'm trying to find information on purpose/functions of  the following parameters, how they interact with each other and their affect on a Data Collection Task.  They are all in the C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config\globalsettings.props file.

I'm trying to get a better understand so I can knowledgably modified these to try to eliminate the timeouts;

- Detached_DC_Timeout

- Storage_DC_Timeout

- DC_Abandon_Latency

- DataCollectionDetachedMemSize
- DataCollectionInitiatorTimeout=60
- DataCollectionMinIntervalMinutes=15
- DataCollectionRetryTimeoutHours=24
- DataCollectionThreadCount=3

Any other troubleshooting information related to eliminating these tpyes of tiomeout would also be appreciated.

Thanks

1 REPLY

Re: Data Collection Timeouts

Hi Gerald,

Did you solve this issue ?. i am also facing the same issue.

Regards,

A.Daniel

Work Hard With Faith