1753307 Members
6602 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Collection takes longer after upgrade

Bill Slobodnik
Frequent Advisor

Data Collection takes longer after upgrade

I have been running HPSIM for about a year now since 4.0 came out. I am monitoring about 1500 servers using a DL380 G3 w/4 3.2GHz processors. It runs the Bi Weekly Data Collection 2x per day, to keep disk space usage up to date. Before I upgraded from 4.2 to 5.0, the DC process would take about 4 hours, since the upgrade on 10/9, the process now takes over 12 hours!
Any ideas on why this may be happening? Any ideas would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Bill Slobodnik
Frequent Advisor

I should also add the CPU utilization on all 4 processors runs 95-100% consistently during this process.
Nick H
Advisor

Bill,

First, you don't need to run data collection 2x per day if all you need to do is monitor the disk space usage on each of your monitored servers. The disk threshold settings are configured on each server. Hence, each server will send you an email when the threshold is passed.

Second, I beleive the reason the discovery process takes longer in 5.0 is if you are using all the managed protocols (DMI, WBEM, WMI). We have since disabled DMI, but the process still takes a while (like a day) to get to every server. We only have about 1/4 the servers you have. We believe the length is because of firewall issues, where we are not alloing WMI and SSH to get through.

Bill Slobodnik
Frequent Advisor

We send out updates of the actual disk space, not just threshold alerts, which is why we run the DC process daily. I have tried removing DMI and WBEM from the protocols, but have not noticed any change in process time.
I realize we probably have too many servers on one DC process. My question is why to the upgrade from 4.2 to 5.0 results in a 3x increase in the amount of time this process takes.
Bill Slobodnik
Frequent Advisor

I've been able to make a small improvement by running a batch job to restart the HPSIM service and free up some of the resources the MXDomainmgr process eats up. By running the data Collection right after the restart the process improved to 10 hours.

Still, I'm curious as to why the upgrade slowed this process down so much...
Nick H
Advisor

I am curious did you go through any "special" steps to install SIM 5.0 outside of the documentation for upgrades?

In other words, did you change the passwords on the SIM server and/or your database server (presuming SQL, as opposed to MSDE since you have such a large managed systems).
Brett Boone_1
Advisor

Bump.. same issue here
Bill Slobodnik
Frequent Advisor

No, I went through the normal upgrade procedures. No change to any passwords on HPSIM or SQL. Has anyone else had this issue or does anyone from HP have any ideas why such a dramatic difference in the time for a DC since upgrading to 5.0?