4965 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dell 10892 mib only accpeting half of traps being received

Don Bitters
Advisor

Dell 10892 mib only accpeting half of traps being received

Dell 10892 mib only accepting half of traps being received

The dell storage mib works perfectly fine with events being registered and being listed when traps are being sent. The Dell 10892 mib however only partially works. It accepts the intrusion traps and the Server administrator startup traps and a few other minor traps that arenтАЩt to useful. The traps for power, temperature and other critical areas are being dropped and listed as generic unregistered trap. It gives the comment that says to make sure you compile and register the mib into SIM which I already did obviously because I am receiving some traps from the 10892 mib. I checked the SNMP trap settings page and verified that all parts of the Dell 10892 mib are listed and even changed some of the severities to critical and verified that all the traps are set to тАЬyesтАЭ for enable trap handling. Currently when a Dell trap comes in under the generic unregistered trap, I look at the IDтАЩs listed in this trap and I pull out my Dell SNMP trap reference chart and look up the id to find out what the trap should have said so I know what the problem is.
I am reviewing the тАЬCompiling and customizing SNMP MIBs with HP Systems Insight ManagerтАЭ document from HP, but havenтАЩt found anything that will help me yet.
If anybody might know what could cause this, please let me know, and thanks in advance.

I am debating on taking up the challenge of copying only the critical traps out of the 10892 mib and making my own that is compatible with SIM. IтАЩm not good enough yet to do this so I would rather not have to go this route. Has anybody else attempted to do this.

I am having the same problem with the blackberry MIB where only half of the traps in the mib are actually being reported. The other half are again using the generic unregistered trap. Lucky enough the traps I am receiving from the blackberry mib are some of the ones I really need and I just have a paper reference chart also for this one to look up the events based on the IDтАЩs listed in the generic unregistered tap message.

Thanks for the help.
9 REPLIES 9
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Hello Don.

Are you using the 10892 mib that comes with HP sim ?
Did you try to unregister it, get the latest 10892 mib (on Dell openmanage CD) and compile it again after renaming it ?

Regards.
Don Bitters
Advisor

Yes, I've done the un-registering and registering process with every version of the 10892 that dell makes. The intrusion detection trap and the server administrator startup trap work fine, just not the rest of the traps in that mib like power, voltage temperature and all the rest.

However the same problem is with the blackberry mibs and the APC mibs. The only mibs that truly work are the ones made by HP and also the latest Dell Storage mib. I think HP designed it this way on purpose.

I will most likely have to learn how to tear apart the mib since only the traps portion is being used and make a new mib with just that part of the mib.

Thanks for taking the time to respond though.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Verify with this list for DELL
http://www.oidview.com/mibs/674/md-674-1.html
Don Bitters
Advisor

Thanks, I did try out this mib just to make sure, but that mib had the same results. Only about half of that mib is actually used. Server Administrator traps are fine and Chassis traps are fine, but voltage, and temperature among others still are skipped. This mib however is the 2002 version and there are 7 versions newer than this one. I actually figured that an older version might work better since HP SIM doesn't truly support mibs written in the 2.0 version of SNMP from 2001 and newer. To me it seems that they are a bit behind since version 3 is just coming out and HP is still stuck on the original version.

I'm just trying to figure out what could possibly prevent the entire mib from being used and only parts of it. I'm pretty sure its not a comments problem as that was a problem with other mibs out there. I tried making my own Dell mib and just using the traps portion of the mib and the top identifiers that specify the 674 and 10892 portions, but I got the same affect from it. so the only other thing I can think of is that some of the trap numbers are reserved in HP SIM.

Thanks for trying though and let em know if you happen to have any other ideas.
Peter Stringer
Regular Advisor

If you use the Dell mibs you will have to rename the mib to something like new10892.mib as HP Sim does not like Mibs starting with numbers.

Incidently I am having massive problems getting the Dell mibs to work. I can compile them and register them, but when I look at the trap setting for the 10892, I see nothing , i.e blank entries in the trap name fields- nothing.

When I unregister them and go back to using the HP version of the Dell mibs ( and also a lot older- SAS drives are not supported etc) it all works and I see lots of entries under trap name
fields-

I had success compiling and registring all the other up to date Dell Mibs like ITassist.mib, dellcm,dcstorag,dcs3rmt etc etc.

Not sure what is going on?
Don Bitters
Advisor

Thanks. I do realize that mibs can not start with numbers. Mine start with dell or dc. I had the same problem with registering the dell mibs and then seeing nothing in the trap settings. This is caused by a corrupt entry in the traps table which the only way to fix is to manually edit the table with a sql interface.

I know that some of the dell mibs either have comment errors and need to be fixed based on HP's requirements, or in a few of those mibs, an import mib is spelled wrong or has the incorrect number. By editing those import lines, it fixes the problem.

My dcstorage mib works perfect and I see all the events that it generates. For the dell 10892 it does work. however only portions of the mib works. For example the low 1000's work and the low 2000's work and the upper 1000's work. However the 105x's don't work and other sections of the mib don't work. If I was registering or compiling the mib wrong, nothing in the mib would work.

In my opinion, HP needs to fix some of their bugs in this product. I mean it is a good product, but only if you are using it for HP. And even so, the WBEM settings across lans are a bit flaky and it can't walk the mib, so it might tell you that something it wrong but you have to rely on the traps. So if a trap was missed or sent a while ago, you might not see the real status. And the setting for receiving traps across wan's is disabled and the only way to turn it on it to write in a line in the global configs file.

Even if I can get all these bugs worked out which there is a lot of, I don't think it will be enough because of its lack of support across the board.
Peter Stringer
Regular Advisor

I have totally the same situation as you- also in automatic event handling - manage tasks, when you want to set up a new task i.e crtical events emailed to you from Dell Servers, you can only select Power Edge 2900, which is great if you only have 2900, but I have a selection of 2950's and 19050's.

I agree with you, the bugs have to ironed out, incidently Dell have a great paper on intergrating Dell Servers with HP SIM 4.2

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=pes_oms&message.id=6242&query.id=1010742#M6242

The bit where you get device type manager to recognise a dell server does not work-still they tried.
Don Bitters
Advisor

Dell does have a paper out on integrating with 5.0 which is a little newer.

And also, the identifying systems types is a bit buggy two as it is specific on certain models with certain installs of the server administrator. The instructions actually say delete the entry and make a new one. I just left it deleted because I am using WBEM to grab the exact model number instead of a label called Dell.
JTC

Hi

I had this exact same issue, i looked into the SQL tables and after deleting the old 10892 mib and importing the new one the "mibfiles" table renames this new_dell_10892.mib.

Delete the old mib with mxmib-a , rename the 10892.mib to new_dell_10892.mib import using mcompile new_dell_10892.mib , then mxmib-a new_dell_10892.cfg

Tested all ok