Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753487 Members
4718 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Did I wipe out the management processor?

JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Did I wipe out the management processor?

Hey all, I had SIM 5.3 on my workstation and it was killing me. Using three gigs of RAM with only two gigs installed and mxdomainmgr.exe was running at about 50%-60% processor time. I uninstalled SIM and put it on a server in back and now my workstation runs fine. HOWEVER, after I ran "Configure or Repair Agents..." on an un-deployed server (DL360 G5) I no longer see a management processor. I went back and rebooted the server thinking I'd see the iLO configuration option pop up but it never showed. I took a look at the "System Management Homepage" for that server and I no longer see the Management Processor section. SO, did running SIM from a different computer kill the management processor on my server??? Oh yeah, that server now takes about five minutes to boot to the initial ProLiant screen. Help!

Thanks,

Joe B
12 REPLIES 12
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You should see the management Processor during a boot. I can't see HPSIM destroying it.
But, you can remove the Remote Insight sub-agent (HP Management Agents GUI via Control Panel) from the SMH. Doing that means you dont see any ILO info in the SMH. Useful for when you don't have the ILO connected.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Another thing you might try is resetting the iLO. There should be a maintenance switch on your system board. The default is security ON. SHut down the server and unplug the power. You can flip the switch to security OFF, reboot, and see if you have the iLO option on reboot.
JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Rob, the iLO option never shows up when I boot the server and the management processor section is missing from the System Management Homepage. I don't want to remove anything else because I DO want the information to be made available to SMH and SIM.

Rancher, I tried changing the security from ON to OFF but when I booted the server there still was no iLO option.

I think this server might still be under warranty so maybe I'll open a ticket with HP.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Joe B
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You could try going into some of the on-board diagnostics they might show it up. But it's odd that you don't get the option to F8 into the ILO on boot. Almost like it's lost the device.
You could also just try the HP Diagnostics which can be run with the server up, that should also show all of the devices that are there.
But I reckon a call to HP may be the best bet.
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

What version of the iLO firmware are you running? Make sure it is 1.70 or later due to an SSH issue between iLO and SIM.
JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Hey Rob, I checked the pop-out diagnostic card on the front of the server but nothing showed up there. Are there any other on-board diagnostics that I can use to try to see what the problem is? When I tried to run the Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility I got an error message saying I needed .Net with version of at least 2.0. I have 2.0 installed so I'm installing 3.5 right now because I'm kind of in "Grasping Mode" and to reinstall 2003 won't hurt too much at this time.

Darrin, I'm at 1.70 on my iLO version (I updated this server with two other servers so all three are at the same version).

If the upgrade to .Net 3.5 doesn't work I will try one other thing. I installed a SAS controller for my Ultrium external tape drive a while back. I'm pretty sure iLO worked after that but I don't know for sure. It's a simple thing to remove the card, boot up the server and look for the iLO configuration option. THENNNN, if that doesn't work I'll let HP know that iLO isn't working--this server IS under warranty. Yippee!! Something in my favor!!!

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Joe B
JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Nope, it's still not working. I removed the SAS controller and the iLO configuration option STILL doesn't show up when the server boots. Time to call HP. I'll let everyone know what the problem was when it gets fixed.

Thanks,

Joe B
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

From Programs -> HP System Tools there should be a link to the HP Online Diagnostics Utility.
If you run this, you should be able to drill down and see the details of the ILO. There's a Category called Remote management that you can look at.
You can also boot diagnostics from the Smart Start CD if I remember correctly. Been a while so not exactly sure how to get at that.
JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rob,

I don't have an "HP Online Diagnostics Utility." I tried going to the "HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility" but a .Net error popped up with the following details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files\HP\hponcfg\xmlOutput.txt' because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path)
at hponcfg_gui.ExecuteHponcfgCLI.ExecuteUtility(String inputfileName, String outputFile, String errorFile, MessageDialog errMsg, String substituteString)
at hponcfg_gui.LOM.updateLOM(CreateRIBCL writeXML, MessageDialog msgDialog)
at hponcfg_gui.SummaryForm.updateFrame(LOM mp)
at hponcfg_gui.SummaryForm.Form2_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
hponcfg_gui
Assembly Version: 2.0.4.1
Win32 Version: 2.0.4.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/HP/hponcfg/hponcfg_gui.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

THEN, after about 30 seconds I get another error message that states:

ERROR: Unable to establish communication with iLO/RILOE-II.
Management processor is busy

AND NOW the "HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility" window popped up and the Integrated Lights-Out summary is blank.

I've already received some instructions from HP's tech support but it was the basic "Make sure all firmware and software are current" response. I let them know that I am current and now I'm waiting for another reply from them.

I think I'll walk in back and see about booting to the Smart Start CD, then try to run the diagnostics that way.

Thanks for the help,

Joe B