Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference SNMP settings in Agent vs. Windows OS?

Jonas Back_2
Super Advisor

Difference SNMP settings in Agent vs. Windows OS?

Can someone explain the difference between setting the SNMP settings in Windows OS by going to Properties on the "SNMP Service" in Windows and setting SNMP settings from the HP Systems Management Homepage -> Settings -> SNMP & Agent Settings?

My first thought was that I didn't need to edit the settings in the HP Agent since it reads the configuration from the SNMP Service configuration? But apparently I'm wrong because if I add a new SNMP read community name in Windows SNMP settings, it's not added to the list in the HP Agent.

Can someone clarify?
4 REPLIES
Fatih Celebi_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: Difference SNMP settings in Agent vs. Windows OS?

Hi Jonas,

Nice to see you here...:)

I can't clarify you exactly the difference for you but I changed the snmp settings both from the "SNMP Service" and from the HP SMH and the change is reflected instantly both ways without restarts or anything. Before I tried I would have guessed that you at least have to restart the HP agent or SNMP service but that was not necessary for me anyway.

I tried this with Win2003 SP1 and PSP 7.40 but the HP SMH version is the latest 2.1.5.146 just in case you wondered..

Mvh

Fatih
Jonas Back_2
Super Advisor

Nice to see you here aswell ;)

Yes that is correct. If you change the SNMP settings in either Windows or the agrent - the changes are reflected in the other without restarting. However, even though I see the changes, I've experienced problems when polling/accessing the servers after changing SNMP setting (I use a GPO to change the settings) so I was wondering if someone has experienced the same problem.

I'm confused why HP lets you configure the SNMP settings through the SIM agent anyway since I think it's confusing to have two sepearate places to configure the same settings. I think they should just stick to the Windows configuration.

I still haven't had time to investigate so I can't be more precise on the problem.
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

"I'm confused why HP lets you configure the SNMP settings through the SIM agent anyway since I think it's confusing to have two sepearate places to configure the same settings. I think they should just stick to the Windows configuration."

The reason for this is that a user using SIM doesnt need OS access to change and add SNMP settings. Helps in limiting unneccesary access to OS.

"I've experienced problems when polling/accessing the servers after changing SNMP setting (I use a GPO to change the settings) so I was wondering if someone has experienced the same problem."

I havent noticed the problem as you mention, default data collection interval is 2 minutes. You could change that and collection time even lower but not recommended for obvious reasons.

Albert
Jonas Back_2
Super Advisor

Well then I supposed it SHOULD work to just change the Windows settings (or in the SIM-agent) and just wait. Good to have that confirmed!