108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Difficulty changing SNMP community string

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Difficulty changing SNMP community string

We have been running Sims 4.2 an a 2003 server for some time. It has been decided to change the default SNMP community read string on all servers. I have added an additional read string on the Sims server, added this to a test server, and removed the original string from the test box. Now the IM events are clogged with authentification failure events and all of the agent info is not present for the test server. I have since tried different procedures to implement this and nothing has worked so far. What am I doing wrong?!
3 REPLIES 3
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

Re: Difficulty changing SNMP community string

You can make use of the "Configure or Repair Agents" tool present in the Configure menu to change the community strings of the managed systems. This helps you in configuring all the managed system at a time.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I have tried that option and am still having issues. What I need to do is get rid of the default public string and set up a different one with read only permissions. CAN the default string be changed, or is it hard-coded into Sims? That is the way HP had me originally set it up. Here are the errors this causes when I tray to make the change:

An authenticationFailure trap signifies that the SNMPv2 entity, acting in an agent role, has received a protocol message that is not properly authenticated. While all implementations of the SNMPv2 must be capable of generating this trap, the snmpEnableAuthenTraps object indicates whether this trap will be generated.
jim goodman
Trusted Contributor
Solution

I am not sure if I am following the issue very well, but there is no hard coded snmp community string you can change it to whatever you want.

Sounds to me since you are seeing authentication traps that the SNMP Security tab is more than likely where your problem sits.

Accept Packets from any host needs to include: localhost and you CMS name or ip at minimum. localhost is required for you agents to communicate with each other. I have seen Win2k3 servers need 127.0.0.1 in addition to localhost to work properly and both the CMS ip and hostname. Why? I have no idea.

Easy test to know if the problem is your set to "accept packets from any host" if you do that and the agents work again and you can communicate with the CMS via the agreed community strings (global protocol settings and Win SNMP settings for read) then your set.

- Jim