Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable USB with HP SIM

July Acuesta
Occasional Visitor

Disable USB with HP SIM

Hello,

We've been asked to disable USB support on all our Proliant servers (DL360, DL380, DL580, DL560) I've been looking around online to see if HP SIM is able to to accomplish it, but so far I've come up with nothing. Is this something that SIM can handle? I'm running HP SIM 5.0 with SP2 if that makes a difference.

I found a HP application that can replicate BIOS settings for desktops, but nothing for servers. Anyone know of a product that can accomplish this without having to visit each server (many are out of state).

Any help is greatly appreciated,

July
2 REPLIES
KPark
Advisor

Re: Disable USB with HP SIM

July,
To the best of my knowledge, SIM does not have that capability as disabling the USB ports deals directly with the system bios. Sim can read bios information, but technically can't change it. If all your systems are Windows based, you might be able to create some form of policy that disables the ports in device manager.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Disable USB with HP SIM

IF...

...you can use CONREP from the SmartStart Scripting Toolkit Windows edition to adequately capture the item you're disabling, and,

...you have SSH trust relationships between your HP SIM server and all the targets established, you could...

...create a tool definition (TDEF) that HP SIM could use to distribute the package and apply it...