cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery Issues Hp SIM 63

Jamie Curran
Advisor

Discovery Issues Hp SIM 63

I have been having my share of issues with discovery. Not sure if its the new version SIM  6.3 of Windows or what. Back in the old days you just discovered systems and as long as SNMP community string was same between agent server an SIM server discovery worked no problem and all data was gathered. I just added about 5 systems manually and I was able to discover them fine It showed me all info and also  discovered the MPs in the servers and data collection was good.  I deleted those systems and I tried to add about 30 systems including the ones I removed using a host file.  It discovers them all but now only one out of the 30 including the ones that I previously discovered manually  with know issues problems shows me the server type the state of all components the MP and data collection.  The 29 other servers discovered show as unknown or unmanaged , I don't get it. When discovering using a hosts file do the global configuration settings get used? Meaning SNMP community strings and sign in credentials????  What am I missing here any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does it take time for all Servers to report the proper info??

3 REPLIES
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Discovery Issues Hp SIM 63

Not really answering your question, but can you try without using a host file? Just create a discovery job for "Discover a group of systems" and paste in the list of servers into the list box. Make sure you set the SNMP community string to match your servers in the settings for that discovery job (or I guess use the global settings). That is what I did when I migrated from 5.x to 6.2 (and built a new server instead of upgrading the old server). I just pasted the list of all my physical server into one discovery job with the correct SNMP setting and then a list of virtual servers into a second discovery job with the correct WBEM credentials. I had no major issues (maybe a handful that failed - I don't recall anymore).

Nelson
Jamie Curran
Advisor

I will give it a try . Was your SIM server in the same domain as the servers you added or different or is it a standalone server.  I'm looking at managing systems in different domains ( Lab and production) Also did you configure Sign in credentials or Just SNMP and Wbem?  Or are sign in credentials used for Wbem?  if in domain do they need to be domain credentials. I'm a little confused on the wbem piece so I need to do more reading. All of my servers are Windows based  2008 R2 Sp1 enterprise or standard edition. I though I read that wbem was only used by HP UX systems?

Thanks for your help.

shocko
Honored Contributor

Can you re-identify one of the un-managed systems and post the log file for inspection?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)