Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748073 Members
4667 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Discovery Problem

C Carson_1

Discovery Problem

I have two NT 4.0 w/SP 6 servers that have the exact same SNMP settings, 1 is discovered and the other one comes up as Unknown for the System Type and only shows the ip adddress and server name. I have tried changing the SNMP settings, but have been unsuccessful in getting the server to show up. I have also tried running configure and repair agents and received a message on the report that says "The operating system on the target is not supported". We are using SIM 4.2 w/SP2 Windows. If someone can tell me how I can consistently get all of my servers to show up whether NT\2000\2003, the help would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Discovery Problem

What model of Server?

Typically SNMP is enough to identify the majority of HP Servers. Under SNMP you can check the community names and which Servers have access. After you've made changes rerun the Identification task.
C Carson_1

The server is old, it's a Proliant 1600.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It will recognise that, I'm still running one PL 1600, although it is on later versions of the OS.

I'm now on HPSIM 5, so I cannot remember exactly, but if you click on the Server name (or IP Address if that is all that is listed) you should see the Management protocols discovered. SNMP is enough to identify the Server, if SNMP is listed as a protocol, then it would suggest there is an issue with either access or community names etc. Note they're case-sensitive.

As far as names etc. are concerned, HPSIM uses DNS to resolve names, it needs both forward and reverse lookups to return valid results.