New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Drive Firmware Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pcole
Occasional Advisor

Disk Drive Firmware Problem

Hi,

I seem to have a problem using the HP SIM to update the firmware of a hard disk within a Proliant DL160 G6. The VCA is showing that firmware level HPG4 is available for the following drive of which it has 2 installed as a RAID1 pair: GB0500EAFYL. Whenever I try to run this update, I get the following error:

Name: Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - GB0500EAFYL drive
New Version: HPG4

Beginning Silent Session...

The software will not be installed on this system because the required
hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't
apply to this system.

There were no devices found that could be loaded with the ROM Image.

Installation will not continue.

I've also tried manually running the update but get the exact same error. Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting this firmware installed?

Thanks

Paul

6 REPLIES 6
shocko
Honored Contributor

That's odd. What level of firmware is installed don the drives at the moment? YOu could try and download the package again form here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3885791&prodNameId=3885792&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-ed275f75e9744dd2b053c21d0d&mode=3

Or extract the package contents and get the ROM Image and then use an offline deployment.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Pcole
Occasional Advisor

Very odd indeed! I've re-downloaded the file and tried running it but get the same error. I've attached a couple of screenshots to show that i'm not going mad and using the correct update. The drives are currently on firmware level HPG2. Is there a chance that I can't jump from HPG2 to 4 and need to install one inbetween (that's assuming an HPG3 patch exists)?

I've never done an offline install of disk firmware on a server before, how high is the chance that i could break the drives permanently by trying to force this on or am i likely to be confronted with the same error if something isn't correct?

shocko
Honored Contributor

The smart array firmware is up to date so there shouldn't be any issue going to the latest disk firmware. Can you check the exact drive model and current firmware using the array configuration utility as opposed to the VCA?

Pcole
Occasional Advisor

From the HP ACU, the firmware level of the controller is 5.14. At first glance, it looked like this was out of date as their has been a later revision 5.14(b) but having tried this, the system told me that it was up-to-date already. I went ahead with the install anyway (just in case) and re-tried the disk firmware but still no joy.

The disk info is:

Physical Drive
Status OK
Drive Configuration Type Data
Size 500.1 GB
Drive Type SATA
Model ATA GB0500EAFYL  
Serial Number WCASYC752772  
Firmware Version HPG2  
Current Temperature 27┬░C
Maximum Temperature 32┬░C
PHY Count 1
Transfer Speed 3 Gbps

shocko
Honored Contributor
Solution

This very odd alright. So, either the installer is buggy or something else at play. I would try the offline update. If you are worried perhaps you could pull a disk form the OS mirror before you do the offline upgrade just in case?

Pcole
Occasional Advisor

None of this worked, however, HP have just confirmed to me that the drive firmware is not required if they are attached to a smart array running 5.14, which they are :)