Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752778 Members
5934 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Does 4.2 work with 7.51a agents on ESX 3.0?

Rob Bohmann
Occasional Advisor

Does 4.2 work with 7.51a agents on ESX 3.0?

I am testing ESX3.0 in our lab and am trying to see what tools work with it and which don't. I installed the 7.51a agents onto a host and am able to discover the server in our 4.2 SIM box (soon to be upgraded...i've been told..) but I cannot use the homepage links or get hardware status. I can open the System home page on the server itself using port 2381 in the url. Should this work? I am just beginning to learn SIM so any ideas or pointers would be appreciated. Attached is what the server looks like in SIM
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Bohmann
Occasional Advisor

One thing I have noticed is when I look at a ESX 2.5 server running the 7.4 agents, it shows Management Protocols like this >>
Management Protocols HTTP:, SMH:2.0, SNMP:1.0 .

When I look at the ESX3.0 server with the 7.51A agents I only see the SNMP:1.0 protocol listed. So it seems more of a probable configuration problem, than a compatibility problem.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Try running an Identify process again just for the VM Host server. SMH should be there as a managed protocol.
Can you browse to that web page from the HPSIM server? - i.e. check there are no firewalls / network issues blocking those ports.
What Trust relationship do you have set up between them?
Rob Bohmann
Occasional Advisor

Rob, thanks for the reply. I've run the identify system process multiple times and I now have one of my 3 esx hosts showing the mgmt protocols of HTTP, SMH, and SNMP. The other 2 do not and that is the first problem. When I try to use the SMH link from within the SIM web page for the one server, I notice that it is trying to use port 2301. I've read there was a change in the default ports for SMH along the way, and was wondering how/if I could change that for the servers that need the different port number.
I am not sure what you are referring to when you ask about the trust relationship between them? Between who?
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Rob - SMH uses 2 different ports. It uses 2301 for HTTP communication and 2381 for HTTPS. Most everything that occurs is over 2381 - however, HPSIM still expects to do SMH discovery over 2301. You cannot change the ports. If you are trying to find out of yo uhave HPSI issue or some sort of connection issue I would suggest that you just fire up browser on your CMS and try to browse directly to SMH of the server you having issues with, without going through HPSIM. You would do this by browsing to:

https://servername:2381

where "servername" is the name of you r server.

If that does not work you might try:

https://ipaddress:2381

where "ipaddress" is the ip address of the server.

If you cannot connect by name but you can by IP address then you may have some sort of DNS issue. You can get HPSIM to use the IP adress instead to connect if that is your issue.

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Rob Bohmann
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply Rich. I can connect to 2381 on each of my ESX servers, so things are installed and working properly there. I did not know about the additional 2301 port for SMH, that is helpful. ESX 3.0 has its own firewall where everything is blocked by default so I need to open every port individually to enable services, etc. I will see if opening 2301 solves this identify/discovery problem from the SIM server to the targets to be monitored. Thanks again.