Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752579 Members
4017 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Does upgrading the vcagent require a server restart?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stephen Adkin
Occasional Contributor

Does upgrading the vcagent require a server restart?

Hi,

I have many servers where the vcagent is out of date.

When upgrading the vcagent using the via the vcagent it returns status code 2 i.e. requires a server reboot.

My question is does the server need to be restarted or can I just restart the agent itself? Otherwise arranging for several hundred server reboots will be difficult and time consuming just to update an agent.

Many Thanks,

Steve
3 REPLIES 3
rcseattle
Frequent Advisor
Solution

On Windows servers I've found with a manual upgrade of the vcagent if I stop the service first and then upgrade it then no restart is required. I've had less luck upgrading the vcagents while the service is still running.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Agreed having to reboot a lot of servers is a pain. That's why I'd usually wait for a new PSP release where a whole lot of things are changing rather than just a single agent.

The PSP is meant to be a tested bundle, so theoretically you'll have less problems than updating individual components.

I only tend to update individual items if there's an issue that I need to resolve.
Stephen Adkin
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replys.

I've tried as you sugested and upgraded the agent manually and this has worked without it asking for any reboot by running the .exe directly from the server.

For now I'll just upgrade those critically out of date.

Cheers,

Steve