108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ESX 2,5 SNMP problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dan White_1
Frequent Advisor

ESX 2,5 SNMP problems

I am having data collection issues on all my ESX servers. I have tried every combination of SNMP settings to no avail.

The top of my SNMP config file looks like:

# Following entries were added by HP Insight Management Agents at
# Tue Apr 4 09:23:28 MDT 2006
rwcommunity [my write string] 127.0.0.1
rocommunity [my read string] 127.0.0.1
rwcommunity [my write string] [SIM IP]
rocommunity [my read string] [SIM IP]
trapcommunity [my read string]
trapsink [SIM IP] [my read string]
syscontact Root (configure /etc/snmp/snmp.local.conf)
syslocation Unknown (edit /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf)

with these settings I can send a trap to SIM but I still get no data collection.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ESX 2,5 SNMP problems

In the settings properties (click on Server name -> Tools & links tab -> System protocol Settings) you could try using WBEM and using a suitable account / password on the Server for the WBEM access.
Dan White_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the tip Rob but it doesn't seem to work. When I set the webm to root with teh root password I get the following error during data collection:

"The data collection on this device was aborted due to a timeout or it was abruptly stopped."

Is there someting that I am missing? I have ~200 Windows servers in SIM. It's only the ESX servers giving me trouble.

Thanks,

Dan
Mark McConnell
Occasional Advisor

Dan,

I had similar problems in windows. My problem revolved around a setting that limited which hosts can send SNMP requests. I was only allowing the local host on some servers. I am not sure what the setting would be on ESX, but you might want to verify that the hosts accepts SNMP requests from your CMC.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Dan,
Have you installed the HP Management Agents for ESX?
They should allow data collection, they'd use the same kind of trust model you have for the rest of the Servers.
see;
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locOsCat/1122.html
Graham King
Occasional Contributor

Have you restarted the SNMP subsystem after changing the configuration file?
Dan White_1
Frequent Advisor

I do have the agents for ESX installed. As for restarting the SNMP subsystem, I restarted the agents. Will that not restart SNMP as well?
Dan White_1
Frequent Advisor

I found that if I increase the timeout in SIM for collection from 5 seconds to 15 it works as expected. Thank you all for the help. Points assigned

Thanks,

Dan