1752795 Members
6456 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ESX 3.5 Insight Agent 8.1 problems

GregL_1

ESX 3.5 Insight Agent 8.1 problems

Hey guys,

I installed the ESX Insight Agent version 8.1. The System Management Homepage seems to be working properly (all agents are appearing.) I have set up SNMP and I am able to receive a test trap.

For a "live" test, I pulled the power to one of the redundant power supplies. The Homepage shows the condition (orange box, exclamation point, etc.) However, I do not receive an SNMP trap.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
-gl
5 REPLIES 5
GregL_1

I'm going to close this thread. I found a thread that explains that the agent does not send a trap, rather the management software needs to poll for it.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1251004

gl
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

No, polling only picks up if the server is there or not.
The agents are supposed to send a trap if a hardware issue is detected by them.

GregL_1

OK, thanks then. Any ideas why I'm not receiving the trap?
GregL_1

Rob,

I got the idea that outage events are generated by polling from your quote in the other thread:

"Outage events are generated from HPSIM polling and not from snmp traps sent by the HP Agents on the ESX Host when they detect an error.
The other thing to ask is - do you have the HP Agents installed on the ESX Host? Check you've got the latest version 8.0.0a agents"

I'm actually trying to process these traps with WhatsUp Gold (rather than HPSIM). Whatsup is seeing the test trap fine - but when I test with the power supply that I'm not receiving.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Yes outage events are. When a server becomes unreachable it's HPSIM that generates the Event. That's detected by the polling task.
I believe it's also the polling that changes the icon if hardware has failed, not the agent generated trap, but I could be wrong on that one.
But if you pull a drive, disconnect a power supply etc. then it should be the agent that detects this and generates an SNMP trap which then generates an event when HPSIM gets it.

They are two separate processes.