Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751832 Members
5380 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ESX/VC SNMP monitoring with HP SIM 5.0

Mathias Rysse

ESX/VC SNMP monitoring with HP SIM 5.0

I am a newbie when it comes to that MIB stuff, perhaps someone here can help me. We are using VMware ESX 2.5.2, VMware VirtualCenter 1.3.1 and HP SIM 5.0.

I am trying to import the VMware supplied MIBs into HP SIM so that I can extend my monitoring. I found a number of MIBs included with the products:

- VMWARE-ESX-MIB.mib
- VMWARE-RESOURCES-MIB.mib
- VMWARE-ROOT-MIB.mib
- VMWARE-SYSTEM-MIB.mib
- VMWARE-TRAPS-MIB.mib
- VMWARE-VMINFO-MIB.mib

Compilation and import of those MIBs into SIM seemed to work fine, but after importing, I do not see any traps listed in the SIM configuration for any of those MIBs, except for VMWARE-TRAPS-MIB.mib.

VMWARE-TRAPS-MIB.mib lists the following traps:

- vmHBDetected
- vmHBLost
- vmPoweredOff
- vmPoweredOn
- vmSuspended
- vpxdTrap

Shouldn't the other MIBs have added traps to the SIM configuration too?

Should I not have imported all of those MIBs? Or is perhaps some editing of the files needed, as described in VMware KB 1151, which applies IBM Director, a similar monitoring package (http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=9wNM_--h&p_lva=&p_faqid=1151)?

I guess what I am looking for and have not been able to find yet in documentation or forums is if this is it or if there should be more traps, given that I am importing five other MIBs but they show up empty in SIM.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I will post this both on VMTN and HP ITRC.
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: ESX/VC SNMP monitoring with HP SIM 5.0

HP SIM uses MIBs exclusively for trap definitions, so, yes, the only one you needed to import was VMWARE-TRAPS-MIB.mib. None of the others contain traps.

There are extensive best practices resources regarding the use of VMware ESX on ProLiant servers and HP SIM from HP ActiveAnswers at http://www.hp.com/servers/activeanswers --> Infrastructure solutions --> VMware for server consolidation and virtualization
Mathias Rysse

Re: ESX/VC SNMP monitoring with HP SIM 5.0

Aha! Thank you for your helpful response, David.

And thank you for pointing me to Activeanswers, I will do some reading there and perhaps find some monitoring best practices there.