1753654 Members
5659 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ESX server self reboot every 10 minutes

Umesh Bhatta
Advisor

ESX server self reboot every 10 minutes

I have just installed HP IM Agent on ESX 4.0, Iam able to login Service managment home page by using root password. Now problem is that my esx server rebooting every 10 minuted. Also HPSIM didn't identify my ESX server correctly(NO os name, system name etc).
This is a first ESX system on our network having HP IM Agent. So do i need any more component to discover this on HPSIM?

Can any one help me on this to solve my problem?
I also need steps to add ESX server on HPSIM after installing HP IM Agent on it.
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: ESX server self reboot every 10 minutes

SNMP should be able to ID the server.
There have been similar questions asked before. Search the forum, example snmp config files have been posted.
Not got ESX 4 up and running yet, but also verify snmp is allowed in / out through the firewall.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

To get ESX and SIM communicating properly I suggest you follow the steps to get VMM working. As getting SIM & ESX working is a pre-condition to get VMM setup.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1113762
Umesh Bhatta
Advisor

Actually I configured another machine using same scripts it is working fine no reboot. But I don't know what happen with this machine.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

A continued reboot does suggest hardware. Certainly not aware of any ESX or HP issues that would cause this.
There are a number of log files on the ESX server you might want to look through.
From a console you can look at the IML, enter hpasmcli
then enter show iml for a list of entries - this might show you what's going on.
Umesh Bhatta
Advisor

I also think there is something wrong with hardware. Got some I/O error in /Var/log/messages file but I have reconfigured ESX on this machine never rebooting itself. It is rebooting repeatedly itself after HP IM Agent (hpmgmt-8.2.5-vmware4x) installations.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

That suggests an ASR is being triggered, the IML should show that. Commands listed above should list the detail.