1753647 Members
6146 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ESXi and HP SIM not communicating as expected

Andy Baran
Occasional Contributor

ESXi and HP SIM not communicating as expected

I have recently installed the version of ESXi 3.5 with the HP CIMs embedded on an ML350 G5 and am having a difficult time geting my HP SIM to recognize it as such. I am running the latest version of HP SIM and have set the WBEM username and password for the ESXi system. Currently the system does show up as unmanaged in the SIM. However, if I try to run an identify on it I see the following in STDOUT:
I have recently installed the version of ESXi 3.5 with the HP CIMs embedded on an ML350 G5 and am having a difficult time geting my HP SIM to recognize it as such. I am running the latest version of HP SIM and have set the WBEM username and password for the ESXi system. Currently the system does show up as unmanaged in the SIM. However, if I try to run an identify on it I see the following in STDOUT:

"Cannot get ComputerSystem WBEM/WMI data from the system
Running VM Identification
The system is not a VMware ESX Host, or WBEM credentials may not be specified, skipping VM Identification"

Any help is greatly appreciated!
4 REPLIES 4
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I have only played around with ESXi and SIM, but I had to use root in my WBEM configuration on SIM to get it to work. I am sure that is not the "suggested" method, but for my experimentation, root worked. Not sure if you are trying to use a different account that you setup in ESXi, but maybe it does not have sufficient permissions. Whereas root does.

Nelson
Andy Baran
Occasional Contributor

I figured it out. I just rebooted the ESXi host and it immediately started to work :)
Louis de Silva
Occasional Contributor

Hi Andy,

Just wondering what did you do to resolve this issue? I am currently facing this as well. I have downloaded the bundle from HP and installed it.

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vihostupdate.pl --server 172.30.161.129 --query
Enter username: root
Enter password:
---------Bulletin ID--------- -----Installed----- ----------------Summary-----------------
hpq-esxi4.0uX-bundle-1.2 2010-01-05T00:01:15 HP ESXi Bundle 1.2

however, it is still not appearing in HP SIM as expected. restarted the ESXi host couple of times, still not working.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Just working on this at the moment. All on HPSIM 5.3 SP1.
I started with a VMware ESXi 4 U1 server and then added the HP Bundle. I rebooted the ESXi server on completion.
The next thing I did was to get the server identified via wbem. For that I added server specific wbem credentials (I used root). I found I had to rerun the identification task a few times to get it to identify the server fully. Not just the fact it was an ESXi server, but to pick up things like serial & part number.
Next I had to ensure that all of the details were correctly entered into RSP and that it had picked up the contract/warranty details.
I don't understand the connection, but there was a post that indicated WEBES needed to be up to date as well.
My next challenge was to register for wbem subscriptions and that kept failing.
After a while it just worked. At the failure times WEBES did not have the new server. I checked later after successfully subscribing to WBEM and WEBES did have the server.
Why that should be I've no idea, or there's something that takes some time to complete going on in the background.
I've still an issue where the Health Status is Orange and if I click on that it says there's a problem communicating with WBEM on the server.
Just passing this on as integrating ESXi into HPSIM isn't that well documented and isn't as straight forward as the rather light docs suggest.