New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 3000 & SMA III integration in HP SIM 5.1

SOLVED
Go to solution
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

EVA 3000 & SMA III integration in HP SIM 5.1

Hi All

I have a EVA 3000 and a SMA III running CVE 5.0.3build2.
I was wondering if I can integrate this in SIM?
If this is possible, what features/functionality will I get in SIM with regards to my EVA?

Is it possible / recommended to deploy Proliant Support Pack to this SMA to further extend functionality?

Some help is appreciated.

Thanks.

/Thomas
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

HPSIM discovers the EVA via SMI-S. SMI-S is included as part of the CV EVA install. Alas, the version included with CV EVA 5 was pretty unreliable.
We did away with our SMA and just have a server with the products installed as required. It does away with a lot of the messing around and is supported.
We have this and CV EVA 6.0.2. The SMI-S included works.
To set up in HPSIM you'll need to have wbem enabled globally but you don't need to add credentials. You can then set up server specific credentials for the server that hosts CV EVA. Note wbem has its own access controls, by default administrator/administrator.
If you search the forums etc. you'll find references to wbemdisco which helps resolve conectivity issues.
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rob

Thanks a lot for the information.

So I enabled WBEM globally and set WBEM credentials specifically for my SMA.
I also did a test using WBEMDISCO which was successful.
Then I ran a new discovery in HP SIM and my EVA 3000 was listed under "All Storage Systems" collection.
However, in the System view, I don't have any information under Ports, Storage Volumes and Capacity Information.
It is all "No data available".

So I ran a Data Collection task for my EVA, but it fails both when I use "Overwrite existing data" and "Append new data".

I have also tried deleting my EVA and run a new discovery, but still no information with regards to Storage Volumes, etc.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

/Thomas
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

I did some more searching on my problem and the following is stated in the HP SIM user guide:
"HP SIM displays data supplied by a storage system's SMI-S provider. If the SMI-S provider does not supply all of the data that HP SIM can display, the table containing that data will say No data available, even though data collection was successful."

Does anybody know if the SMI-S provider which comes with CVE 5.0 does not supply this data (Ports, Storage Volumes & Capacity)?

Some help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

/Thomas
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I can only say I had a lot of problems with CV EVA 5.0 and the SMI-S component that comes with it.
Going to version 6 resolved a lot of those issues.
I had issues similar to those that you're seeing, I did get some success but it was fragile. It usually involved restarting the SMI-S components at each end - including the Pegasus WMI service on the HPSIM Server.
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

Thanks again Rob for your feedback and advice.

I guess I should consider upgrading CVE to v6.

/Thomas
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

From above postings and replies:

- Was able to get my EVA 3000 listed in HP SIM, but was not able to display a lot of information about the storage system.
- Adviced to upgrade Command View EVA to v6.x