1751877 Members
5303 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVNTWIN Generated SNMP TRAPS

Peter Graham_1
Advisor

EVNTWIN Generated SNMP TRAPS

We are using EVNTWIN inside of Windows 2000 to generate SNMP traps when certain eventlog entries appear and sending these traps to our SIM server. It seems the SIM simply ignores them. We have verified the trap was recieved by the server itself, but SIM is not acknowleding the fact it heard anything.

We see the server acknowledge other "generic" traps but nothing from EVNTWIN traps. We tried creating a MIB and still no events are generated based on the trap.

Guess the question is, is this possible? Will SIM acknowledge any SNMP traps that are unknown to it? Has anyone had any success trying to implement such a thing?

Thank-you
15 REPLIES 15
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: EVNTWIN Generated SNMP TRAPS

Go to Options --> Events --> Event Filter Settings and check the box to 'Accept Unregistered Events.'
Peter Graham_1
Advisor

That box is checked.

I've tried a different test of using a trap generator and sending a generic trap to the server and still nothing is showing.

Is there any specific requirments or format the traps must adhere to?

Thank-you
Ivan KOVAC
Respected Contributor

hello,

I'm not shure, just idea, what if you register CPQFIX and CPQHOSTB MIB files wich support HP Proliant Generic.

I.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Peter: I've just done it myself and it works from EVNTWIN. Are you sure that the event is firing in the first place?
Peter Graham_1
Advisor

Yes Dave, verified the trigger by sending it to another machine running snmputil and the trap is heard by it.

Does the trap community need to match the read/write community used by SIM to manage the server?

I'm using one communtiy string to manage and discover the servers and another for traps.

Thank-you
Ivan KOVAC
Respected Contributor

hello

try to use the same community name used by SIM.

i.
Peter Graham_1
Advisor

Ivan, that doesn't seem to make any difference.
Greg_204

It does work if you set it to accept unregistered events, but the description does not come through, making it meaningless. Have you had any luck?
Peter Graham_1
Advisor

Actually we have had very good success with this now.

We too were getting the generic unregistered events coming. So we started to write our own MIB to traslate the incoming trap.

Unfortunately Microsoft didn't do a very good job when considering how they were going to send these traps so it does get a bit messy trying to work with the MIBs.

So far we have managed to translate traps for Performance Log events, Service failing and AD Group membership changes.