1748219 Members
4813 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: EVNTWIN Generated SNMP TRAPS

Greg_204

Hi Peter

Wish I had time to do that... Considering giving up on HP SIM as a bad idea... also only supports SNMP V1, not even 2C yet... seems a bit odd. The web interface is also not very intuative....has frustrated me for a day now.... to long for something that should be so simple

Ciao
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Peter:

Consider posting your MIBs on the HP SIM Tools and Scripts forum so others may benefit.

Greg:

What is it you think you're missing as far as SNMP versions? All of the data that HP SIM moves back and forth works very well. Long term we're trying to get away from SNMP in favor of WBEM.
Greg_204

Howdy David

Last time I looked at SNMP was about 7 years back. Seems to be very good and lightweight and the movement does not seem to be slowing down. With 3 you'll have good security with having to do IPsec tuns and what not. Can also control most vendor equipment by doing the correct sets. WBEM seems a bit heavyweight for my liking... just time how long it takes for the service to start. I know very little about WBEM though... so point me to some whitepapers and I'll have a read.

Btw the following website came to the rescue

http://www.ncomtech.com/Ev2tHelp.html

did an mcompile and a mxmib on their mib and it works like a charm.

I still think HPSIM is fairly cool in the way that it integrates everything. We have Openview in another dept and I'll be forwarding on to them for monitoring by our SMC (Service Managment Centre)... I honestly just became a bit frustrated..

Keep Well

Ciao

G
Mark_461
Occasional Advisor

I too am trying to use the ev2t but after compiling their mib I can see it within SIM but the traps are still coming up as unregistered. Am I missing something? Does the SIM service need restarted?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Mark:

Compiling "processes" the mib. After the mcompile step you need to use mxmib to register it.

Greg:

Does the ev2t MIB match up with the MS evntwin events?
SenneVL
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I know this is a very old thread, but it contains some interesting information, which I would like to complete for future adventurers who attempt monitoring windows services using HP SIM.

evntwin generates traps that are not compatible with the ev2t MIB

creating a custom MIB for evntwin traps will, in my experience, not be possible due to lacking support for some snmp features adn the huge amount of events that could possibel occur, all creating a custom OID

However: simply installing ev2t and registering the MIB works PERFECTLY.