HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email could not be sent:could not connect to SMTP Host

sacsim
Occasional Contributor

Email could not be sent:could not connect to SMTP Host

I am getting error 'Email could not be sent:could not connect to SMTP Host' while configuring first time wizard for SIM 5.2 on windows and giving email settings and testing with test email , i checked SMTP server is correct and able to telnet port 25 as well , any where else i can check?

Thanks...
3 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Email could not be sent:could not connect to SMTP Host

When you telnet are you doing that from the HPSIM Host using the address specified in the SMTP settings.

Also onced you've telnetted to the host can you type HELO and get a response?

Finally are you sending e-mails to the domain that the Mail Server hosts or are you routing them elsewhere? To enable this the HPSIM Server needs to be added as an allowed host.

Otherwise I'd suspect something like DNS. But by doing the telnet you've checked the obvious things.
sacsim
Occasional Contributor

Thanks , when i telnet and write Helo i get reply as Hello as below

220 PC5-EXSMH-C101 Authenticated Receive Connector
helo
250 PC5-EXSMH-C101.xyz.com Hello [157.59.249.51]

do i need to add my SIM machine to the smtp host as well , is there any difference in SCOM or SIM SMTP services , in other monitoring systems like MOM/scom i just give my smtp server name and it is able to send the emails, if there is any differenence then i guess i need add my sim server to SMTP host server to allow the email exhange?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Depends on the SMTP Server. IIRC with Exchange 2007 you either need Anonymous Access enabled or the HPSIM Server would need to be added to the SMTP Server.
My guess the issue is with the SMTP Server and allowing access somewhere.