108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Email notification for unreachable systems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Quinlan
Occasional Advisor

Email notification for unreachable systems

I am receiving email notifications for hardware faults and cluster events however if any of my servers go offline i do not received a system unreachable notification. The offline systems will show as critical from within hpsim however i do not recieve a notification.

Can someone tell me which setting need to be configured to receive these alerts.

Many Thanks,

Andrew
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Email notification for unreachable systems

The server unreachable events are generated by HPSIM directly and are triggered by the hardware polling task.
You'd need to look at how you've set up the event handling, if your task picks up all Critical alerts then it should catch it.
If not, you'd need to look in the system insight manager category for the system unreachable event and include that.

The other possibility is that the hardware polling task is either not running or running too infrequently to pick up the servers when they're out.
Andrew Quinlan
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the response.

I have a couple of servers that have been down all morning so the frequency shouldn't be a problem. The hardware polling task must be working as i'm receiving other notifications. Is there any way i can see what's being polled? Where are the settings to configure the task and what task am i looking for?

Thanks again,

Andrew
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I am having the same problem with server unreachable notification. I receive the notifications for the management processor, but not the servers. I am running Sims 5.1
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

There are two polling tasks by default, Server and Non-Server.
Again, by default the Server polling is every 5 minutes and the Non-Server every 10 minutes.

Whether it's a server or not depends on whether it's been identifed as a server in HPSIM (under System Type)

You'll only get the one alert generated, once it has flagged the server is unavailable you'll not get any more events generated until the status is reset by HPSIM, e.g. when it comes back on line.
With HSPIM 5.1, there's an ES column, clicking that will list all of the events associated with that device. Otherwise click on the server name and click the events tab.
You can run a Hardware Status polling for a selected device, the results of that might indicate what's going on.
I'd also check the last run dates of the polling tasks.
Andrew Quinlan
Occasional Advisor

Hi There.

Thanks for the response.

The servers are being detected as servers. The polling is set to every 5 minutes and is running without errors.

The servers are appearing with a red cross next to them so they are being flagged as critical / unreachable. It's just the notification that seems to be failing.

Thanks

Andrew
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Has the device ever been online and visible from HPSIM?
Look in the Events for the server, is there a System Unreachable event listed?
There should at least be a discovered system event.