8668 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enclosure capacity

SBASSETTI
Occasional Contributor

Enclosure capacity

Hi
We are moving to new data centers. Currently we have 29 c7000 enclosures and the amount is rapidly growing. We have HP SIM with vcem. Now i urgently need a tool to get a report on free bays on all enclosures. All + free. Is this possible, perhaps another SIM plug-in?
3 REPLIES 3
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

HP SIM doesn't really "know" which bays are free; that is, there is no database object for a free bay. You would need to work directly from the database tables (the schema is documented in online help and in the Technical Reference Guide from http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Information Library) and count up the bays with things in them and then infer which bays are free. It'll be a little tricky if you have a mixture of FH and HH bays, as well as any bays with things like SB40c storage blades or tape blades...
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Just the report I'm being asked for on a weekly basis. Someone has been working on getting a schema report but it relies on everything SIM can talk to - talking ok.
We were thinking of getting the server name off the iLO and if it was blank then regarding that as a free bay. But the iLO name is not always updated correctly on all OS unless we get all the latest agents/drivers on.

Next thing I want our DBA to look at is querying the VCEM database and looking for unused slots and then asking the ilO what is in the slot.

David, great idea for a feature improvement in SIM.
RobH_Seattle
Advisor

That would definitely be a handy feature to use. I have 20 c7000 enclosures and the only way I could keep track was to create a spreadsheet "master IP doc" that has all the enclosures listed down along with the preset IP address for ILO. I simply put "spare" or "empty" in the blade enclosure location and run a total at top of spreadsheet. Ya its manual which bites but it's all I have so far but I keep on top of it.
i.e. here is formula for empty slots
=COUNTIF(B283:B1801,"empty")

Good luck.