1752800 Members
5710 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enclosures Incomplete

Yvan Lefevre
Advisor

Enclosures Incomplete

I start using HPSIM to monitor my blades.
Currently only one blade in one enclosure reports to my HPSIM server.

Server's a BL20p, ILO FW 1.88, Enclosure FW 2.30.

1) If I install Windows 2000, the blade is displayed and correcly linked to the enclosure but other bays appear as empty. So, I have no information about the power supply or the switches.

2) If I install Windows 2003, the blade appears as an Unknown system type and the enclosure in not detected at all.

Any ideas ?
8 REPLIES 8
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

HI,

On your 2003 installation, do you have SNMP installed and configured?

Rgds,

Albert
Yvan Lefevre
Advisor

Yes, SNMP is configured and the latest agents (7.60) are installed and active.

I receive events from the blade server itself (e.g. system unreachable, disk failed, ...)
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

A screenshot of your problem would be more informative.

Rgds,

Albert
Yvan Lefevre
Advisor

Here you are.

So, it's with Windows 2000 installed (as with Windows 2003 the enclosure is not discovered).

Juergen.Kopp
Advisor

Please double check the "Trust" from the Win2003-Blade to SIM CMS Server. (HP SMH-> Settings->System Management Homepage -> Security ->Trusted Management Servers.)
Yvan Lefevre
Advisor

I've reinstalled Windows 2003 now and it works, the system appears in the enclosure. I don't know what has changed but anyway, it's solved.

1) Now, I've almost solved the switches problem: you have to configure snmp settings on the switches itself so that they report to your hpsim server.

But, there is a little issue left: if you look at the attached picture, you'll see I have 4 switches in the B2-0-Bottom enclosure which is not correct.

I have a B2-1-Middle enclose that does not appear in hpsim despite this event I've received:
"Event Name: Discovered System
Event originator: B2-1-Middle
Event Severity: Informational"

So, it's discovered but doesn't appear anywhere (even in the All Systems view)!!

2) For the power enclosure, I still don't get it in hpsim.

But, in one of HP user guides, I saw a screenshot of a rack taken from the iLO web interface of one of the blades of this rack... and there you see the power enclosure.

Now, if you look at the same screenshot of my rack (attached), there is no power enclosure shown!

I guess it's related: once I'll have it in the iLO web interface, I'll have it in hpsim!
Juergen.Kopp
Advisor

Hi Yvan,

I can't say anything to your switch problem, but regarding power enclosure please see my solution. May be it helps you.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1029392

Regards,
Juergen
Yvan Lefevre
Advisor

Thanks Juergen but unfortunately, it doesn't help. I don't have a firewall between the blade rack and the hpsim server.

And as part of the problem seem to be on the rack or the iLO, this is not even network related.